Sign in to follow this  
clivecorrado

Changing Disks and Pads - G60

Finally got my corrado running after 2 months off the road, but now I need to change the disc’s and pads all round.

Couple of questions;

1. Are either the front or rear discs pressed onto the wheel bearings??? The new rear discs look like the wheel bearings are pressed into them.

2. Do I need a windback tool for the rear pads or will the pistons just push back into the calipers???

Thanks for your help.

1 - Yes the bearings will really need changing with the rear discs ar they are pressed into them.

2 - Yes again, Halfords do one I think for about £20 for the rears, and the fronts just push back.

Can you just confirm that the front disks don't require the bearings to be replaced as they are not part of the hub. However, the rear disks do require the bearings to be changed as the hub and disk are one and they are pressed rather than tapered bearings.

Thanks.

I take it that this is the same for the VR6? If so it's another call to my friendly stealer (no really, they are actually friendly!)

Is there anything else that needs replacing with the disks and pads?

you may also want to replace the rear ABS rotor cages too... they're a press fit onto the back of the disk (light press, you can do it by hand) but they have a habbit of rusting onto the old disks so when you get 'em off, they don't press fit back onto the new disks meaning that you loose your ABS 'cos they're not spinning at the same speed as the wheels... :roll:

Good news is that they're not expensive... around £20 IIRC for both sides... 8)

Yay, I'll add them to my VAG list too... I'm on a first name basis with them already and I've only had the C a week :lol:

While I'm in there, I'm going to be doing the rear shocks and top spring plates too, are there any other bits that are likely to need replacing? I'm tempted to put new hub-damper bolts in anyway, but anything else?

FYI The rear bearings come with seals and are £16.12 each from the $tealers! (At least for the VR6)

The ABS cages are £10.51 each and you need a seal/clip/fastener plastic thing (not sure exactly what, this is what they said) and they're £1.78 each.

Part numbers will be posted once I get the receipt.