Sign in to follow this  
jimbog60

Pulley & Belt Question?????

Hi Guys,

Firstly I will say Hello as I'm new here! :D

Secondly, I will be fitting a new pulley and belt tomorrow and wondered If there are any golden rules to stick to? I take it the SC pulley turns when you try loosening the bolt? Any Ideas on over coming this?

Thirdly, I would just like to say thanks to Darren who has done a pukka job with my charger, Cheers

:D

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure a G60 person will be along shortly :)

Alternatively, try looking in servicing or common questions for the answer as I'm sure it's been asked before.

well the tensioner is easy enough to deal with... some people use a big clamp to relieve the tension on the belt (proper way, you can rent an equivelant to the special vw part at some auto stores)... some people use a couple of huge gear clamps... some people just loosen the tensioner bolt and carefully slide the tensioner off of it.

never changed the pulley on the charger... you might want to try loosening the bolts holding it on before you remove the belt... squeeze the belt around the pulley to try to hold it in place. dunno if that works in this application.. works for some other pulleys.

anyone know the proper specs or a part number for the belt for a 65mm w/ AC? i have the stock one on there right now and it buzzes like a mofo at idle and slips when i pump the accel. bad news. :?

I undid the pulley bolt with an air gun before I took the belt off. The tensioner can be held with a large cable tie and then just slide it off the bolt, no special tools required :)

jimbog60, You may find that the pulley won't come off easily, its a very close fit. Your best bet, if you can get hold of one is to use a small pulley extractor.

thanks for the help guys,

I've just done the pulley and belt, Just started to do the chip but cant get the connector off, I have taken the screw out, anything else I have to do? do really want to start bullying it and breaking the connectors.

cheers

:D

just finished and now the car won't start, looked at everything at Its all where it should be but It wont turn over!!!

anything I could of missed? its an SNS st5 chip, 3.5fpr, pulley and belt, the only thing I can think of is the chip?

anything I've missed?

When you say won't turn over what do you mean?

Are the ignition lights coming on?

I know it sounds stupid but did you reconnect the battery.

Yep ignition lights are on, all that is ok, there is no spark being generated though?

have i minced the ecu?

You could try putting the old chip back in. Shouldn't take long now you know what your doing.

I wouldn't of thought it was a fuse but you never know.

Is the engine turning then but with no spark?

Lee,

thats exactly it mate, just gone through the fuses but no luck.

starting to pull my hair out now.

Thinking now it could be ecu.

Where did you get the chip from? I would give them a call and see what they think.

Or do you know anyone with a G60 local that you could try their ECU.

Sorry i didnt post earlier jimbog, just got back in :(

Is it sorted?? Sometimes when you pull the big connector off the ecu, the pins bend back a bit so when you re-connect them there isn't sufficient contact. Furthermore, you must put the screws back onto the black cover to ensure a good fit by the connector.

In this case (insufficient connection with pins) just get a pointy object and pry the pins in the clamp forward a touch so they make contact with the ECU pins once connected.

Also, did you put the chip in the right way round? Lined the notch up on the chip with the notch on the socket?

Paul, If you are still in a world of grief give me a call, the problem is probably very simple to rectify. Just check that in all the works you have done that you have not dislodged trhe black 12v supply to the ignition coil.

Hi Guys,

sadly the car is still not working, was on the phone to a vw mechanic last night going over a few things but nothing obivious was wrong. He took the ecu today, to send of for testing so should have that back soon. Bilal said he might pop over monday to have a look, so hopefully its only minor as a new ecu is £660 from VW :(

anybody know where I can get one cheaper?

and thanks guys for all your help :D

Jimbo

No mate, so my glimmer of hope soon vanished. Bilal Is coming over monday with his ecu to see if it works on the car.

fingers crossed it aint the ecu! if it is do you know where I could get a cheaper one darren?

cheers mate

we will sort somthing out for you mate !!!

should of come to us for fitting !! :lol: