mmacneill123

Temperature sensors - three in a row, what do they do?

Hi guys

The three temperature sensors in the row as the front of the block:

The blue I know - for the ECU, just replaced it, long-term idling and running problem on the mend so very happy!

The two pin black one - is this for the temperature gauge on the instruments or just the warning light, googling has proved inconclusive as I know the warning light can also be triggered by the expansion tank sensor! My temperature gauge has always shown low, so I am willing to invest if this could be the problem!

The four pin brown one - googling reports it is for A/C cutoff but I do not have A/C fitted to the car. I thought fan cut-off would be next favourite but thought there was a switch in the radiator for that.

In the wake of all this contradictory info, can someone clarify for me ? :-)

Blue is ECU

Black is 3rd Fan speed

Brown should be a yellow and is dash water temp

Low water level is expansion tank

Brown should be a yellow and is dash water temp

Thanks for that - yep, it is yellow but apparently it is brown if you have A/C (I was sure I saw a picture with a brown one so looked again!!), then had a break at work and looked at my engine :-)

Do you know where you can get a replacement or what the part number would be?

I noticed when buying them (and someone mentioned it on here) the yellow one is now sold as a black with a blue stripe.

You can buy a blank and remove the aircon one (that's what i've done) My car came with aircon and had Blue, Yellow and black, Black being for aircon.

I noticed when buying them (and someone mentioned it on here) the yellow one is now sold as a black with a blue stripe.

You can buy a blank and remove the aircon one (that's what i've done) My car came with aircon and had Blue, Yellow and black, Black being for aircon.

Thanks Jim, eventually found it:

Cheers Yan, I just did some digging and found that out. was talking to 2cc and he kindly whipped his sender off his engine (which was removed) and gave me the part number of 701 919 369 B Which when put into ETKA has been dropped and replaced by 701 919 369 D which is, as you say Blue/black not Yellow/black.

Very reasonable on VW heritage https://www.vwheritage.com