Sign in to follow this  
Blair

A contentious issue no doubt...G60 rebuilds...

OK, who does the most reliable G60 rebuilds then?

I realise up front that there is no way I'm going to get a 100% agreement...but it would be good to just get a concensus!

My last rebuild was at BRMotorsport*, who are local and hence just have the edge at the moment. However, I'm open to suggestion...:)

*It was also 5 years, 4 months and 40K miles ago so they've done OK compared to some I've heard about! ;)

okay..heres my experiance....jabba =poor customer service, ok work but pricey.

next time i will use pitsop/gwerks or send it overseas

I'll have no hesitation in using JMR - had loads of advice, assistance and support at no cost to date and will happily recommend them to anyone - great cups of tea on offer as well

I'm interested in BRM personally because of their location. Aren't they in Leamington or something Midlands'ish?

I'd gladly go to either JMR or G-Werks but they are just too far saaaaaf for me! :(

jimsG60, yup, Leamington it is! :)

BR Motorsport

8a Berrington Rd.,

Sydenham Ind. Estate

Leamington Spa

Warks

CV31 1NB 8)

However, IIRC they send the chargers off to Jabba to rebuild 'em... :|

Jabba won't EVER be getting any more trade from me 'cos of their aftersales and bearing replacement policy... They didn't want to know when I called them to tell them about the dead bearings in my charger which had only done 14K miles in the 14 months since it's stage 4 rebuild, and then I found out that they only replace bearings "when they need to"... When the f%~$ is that? if it's in bits and you're rebuilding it, then I think you should change ALL the seals and ALL the bearings no matter if they're looking perfect or not! what's the point in rebuilding it if you're gonna leave old bits inside it along with the new ones?!? :roll: [/rant]

Personally, my charger would be sent to either Pitstop/G-Werks or JMRacing no matter how far it is away from home.... 8)

Both have excellent reputations and excellent service levels and have been a pleasure to deal with during the time I've been doing my engine work... 8)

I know that G-Tuned also does 'charger rebuilds but I can't comment on their quality or the service level/quality as I've not used them... It'd still be worth talking to them to see what they say though so you can gauge your own opinions... 8)

I'm interested in BRM personally because of their location. Aren't they in Leamington or something Midlands'ish?

Yep, not far from Asda (if you know Leamington). Kind of handy with me being in Warwick :) In fact my mate who fitted my suspension/brakes/bearings used to work at BRM, which is even MORE handy :)

I think its farmed out at BRM.

However, IIRC they send the chargers off to Jabba to rebuild 'em...

Nah, it's done by Tim (old hand at BRM, nice bloke too). I can see why you'd get that impression though, there's some sort of tie-in with a German rebuilder/tuning company. Can't remember who off the top of my head, but Tim's been fully trained and was always the only guy at BRM who did them. Same day service - drop the car off in the morning, pick it up rebuilt at the end of the day :)

No real surprises though - lots of praise for Pitstop/G-Werks, so it's good to get a concensus :)

Shame to hear about Jabba as well. I remember them being universally reknowned as 'the daddies', but then Mike expanded the business and started recruiting. To be honest, I was on the verge of sending mine to them for a stage4 but then I spoke to Mike's sidekick at GTI International (going back a few years now, just after Mike started expanding) and he was such an obnoxious and unhelpful &^$# I decided not to bother. The fact that he actively blocked me from talking to Mike about the rebuilds and insisted on lecturing me about them really didn't help...

Whoops, best get off the soapbox... ;)

Sounds interesting. Liking the sound of BRM :)

Thanks very much for that Blair!

there's some sort of tie-in with a German rebuilder/tuning company.

You wouldn't happen to know who that might be? SLS Tuning, for example?

Liking the sound of BRM

Nearly had the entire charger out last night as I was fitting my RS outlet kit from SLS Tuning :) A couple of well-placed swear-words and that horrid plastic silencer was finally out, anyone need one?

Tempest

brm had a deal with tec from germany back in the old days if my memory is correct. g-werks all the way for me as far as recomendations go .its 250 miles each way for me but its worth it for darrens witty conversations!!

Maybe not, I don't know to be honest. BRMotorsport aren't really trading any more - it's now BRMotor Services after BRMotorsport went down the pan. It's still the same people (apparently even Brian helps out) but I'm a bit wary to be honest...especially if TEC *have* ceased trading because AFAIK they were TEC kits that BRM used to rebuild the chargers...

I don't even know for sure if BRM still do the rebuilds!

One oprion that may be more convienient to yourself to avoid a long journey down to our premiesis is the option of using 'Midland VW' in Cannock who are a PSD/G-werks agent. Obviously the work cannot be carried out in a day as the charger has to be couriered to us to be serviced, but Jody who runs Midland VW is a very compertant mechanic who can remove/refit the blower and carry our chip and pulley mods.

Cheers :)

I'm giving much consideration to going for a rebuild combined with a chip & pulley combo. I'd be looking for 185bhp-ish, is that a feasible expectation for a 68mm pulley?

Out of interest, how easy is it to carry out chip & pulley mods? Something any competent mechanic can do (thinking of my ex-BRM mate here)? If I was going to courier the charger off for a rebuild it would make sense to order the chip & pulley to be delivered & fitted at the same time.

I swapped my injectors, FPR and chip in under 90 mins, and that was taking it easy 'cos I'd never done an ECU chip before... 8)

The pulley's also pretty easy to fit too...

Tec (Pforzheim, Germany) was taken over by Digi-Tec, according to my German Radoforum folk. Digi-Tec are more into chip-tuning, although the former Tec boss seems to work there as well.

Their experience with Tec G-Lader overhauls is FAR from good, as can be read (in German) here.

Would be good to know if BRM still do rebuilds and how etc., as distance Coventry-Leamington Spa is tempting for another Coventry Rado G60 owner ... :roll:

Tempest

I swapped my injectors, FPR and chip in under 90 mins, and that was taking it easy 'cos I'd never done an ECU chip before... 8)

The pulley's also pretty easy to fit too...

I wonder how much time does it take to replace the green injectors with the red top ones... :roll:

Is it an easy job? :?