Reverend Frog

sunroof motor suddenly died

I installed a Golf mk3 sunroof mechanism to my 93 VR6 over the weekend, which works very well. My old motor fitted perfectly to it.

today i went to use it and nothing happened. I also noticed that my clocks,odometer and interior light were gone.

I checked the fuses and fuse 21 (30A) was blown so I changed it. The displays and interior lights came back but still no sunroof. Have I missed anything - other fuses/relay,or has the motor suddenly committed suicide?

Take the motor out and run it off a 12v battery to check it. You may have over-strained it or it might be weak. If it's struggling against a tough sunroof mechanism it will draw more current and can blow the fuses or burn out. The Mk3 mech is not really a perfect fit for the Corrado - Passat B3/B4 is better. Did you lubricate the mech before fitting it?

Take the motor out and run it off a 12v battery to check it. You may have over-strained it or it might be weak. If it's struggling against a tough sunroof mechanism it will draw more current and can blow the fuses or burn out. The Mk3 mech is not really a perfect fit for the Corrado - Passat B3/B4 is better. Did you lubricate the mech before fitting it?

Aye, about half a tub of grease!

Put my Corrado metal lid back on to the mechanism and it all fitted very well, to be honest. Nothing to suggest motor strain but I'll check it out.

The fuse blew without me trying the motor first, I've just remembered. It happened when I was refitting the interior. Possibly when refitting the A pillar trim. Is it possible I've disturbed some wiring or something?

Edited by Reverend Frog

Maybe. There is a special grease that VW recommend. you could have a short somewhere. Start at the motor and work your way back up the loom to the fuse box and you should find it.

I've now discovered that I also blew fuse 16 (15A) as well as fuse 21 (30A).

God knows what's causing this.

anyone know what the black wire behind the interior trim on the A pillars is supplying power to?