Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Slick 50 in a engine, good idea?

Does anyone run slick 50 in their cars?

Have just got the car going on a basically new engine and wondering whether its worth putting some in from the beginning. Thing is, the engines not run in yet

DO NOT put slick 50 into a new engine! It'll never bed in properly and will continue to burn oil if you do use an additive before the engine is fully bedded in... :|

New/rebuilt engines should be run on mineral oil (non-synthetic) during the running in period, and then on your preferred semi or fully synthetic oil there after. VAG do not recommend the use of any oil treatments in any of their engines, although I have used Slick50 in my MKI 16V before with no problems...

I run it too, not had any problems so far, and it's really quiet too, no cammy noise like a lot of VR6's have

Cool, so leave it bed in for ?? miles then use slick 50.

I've been running on Sinta Silver, thought VW use that from new so followed that.

I'm leaving mine for 3000 miles until I start using sinta silver... I may treat it around then too depending on how I feel... Odds are I'll leave it until around 10K 'til I treat it... 8)

A well looked after engine with regular oil changes does not need Slack 50 in it.

Most engines last 100,000+ without it, so spend your money on something more useful instead !

I can't see PTFE particles 'bonding' themselves to reciprocating parts soaked in oil.... it's bullcrap. All those particles do is block vital oil ways and you certainly don't want the VR6 tensioner bolt oil path being blocked !

A well looked after engine with regular oil changes does not need Slack 50 in it.

Most engines last 100,000+ without it, so spend your money on something more useful instead !

I can't see PTFE particles 'bonding' themselves to reciprocating parts soaked in oil.... it's bullcrap. All those particles do is block vital oil ways and you certainly don't want the VR6 tensioner bolt oil path being blocked !

I agree with kev. Take a look at the stuff in the bottle and you'll never put it in your engine. How can the oil keep the engine clean with that shit stuck to every moving part in there? Regular oil changes are much more important.

Yep, agreed.

When I first got my Mk1 GTI (back in '92) I took it to BRMotorsport for a service. I asked Brian Ricketts about the benefits of putting Slick50 in - and got a decisive "do NOT put that in your engine" back. He said exactly what Kev said - it'll end up blocking oilways.

I'll give that a miss then, got some new gearbox oil everybodys been on about arriving tomorrow so I'll settle for that instead. Point taken about the oil ways, still amazes me how it gets though to the lifters and tensioner etc. What's regular oil changes, I was planning every 6000mls.

Yep, agreed.

When I first got my Mk1 GTI (back in '92) I took it to BRMotorsport for a service. I asked Brian Ricketts about the benefits of putting Slick50 in - and got a decisive "do NOT put that in your engine" back. He said exactly what Kev said - it'll end up blocking oilways.

yeah, but I'm sure it used to say on the box that it gave a 2.8 capri another 12bhp or something, got to be a good tuning mod :wink: joker:

David.