tonylam

Rainwater ingress under the dashboard

Hi Everyone

I have read many of the threads on the forum relating to leaks. I may have another challenge for the experienced members.

I have definitely getting rainwater into the corrado.

I have removed the carpets etc to find the source of the leak.

Access is best on the passenger side but i fear the leak is not limited to the passenger side as is feels a little damp in the drivers side. not wet but damp.

lying on my back with my head under the dash (this is much more uncomfortable then i remember) i can see what i believe to be the underside of the scuttle panel where the blower intake is situated.

from the image below there is a seam which is leaking. Thing is i cannot see the seam from the engine bay. and how the hell is water getting to that. I note that the area around the blower intake is actually dry and does not appear to be leaking although the seam does sit wishing the area so the water could be tracking from that along the seam???? I don't now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84208[/ATTACH]

Moving a little more towards the wing/A piller i can see what i believe to be the sunroof drains (yellow tubes) this area is also wet

1. Any advice on how the water is gaining access?

2. How do i stop it?

Thanks everyone

Tony

It's probably the foliage seal on the heater blower intake at the rear right of the scuttle bay that's leaking - I have a slight leak there as well. Another possibility is rust under the windscreen seal and bond.

There is a very good article in the Wiki knowledge base on here about replacing this seal and the part numbers that you need to order

how much of this is compounded by the partial scuttle. I have looked at many images of this area

and there only ever seems to be a scuttle piece over the air intake. it doesn't even fully cover the ECU. is this right or are their pieces missing?

No, that was the way it came from the factory. You can buy aftermarket scuttle covers, or use a Mk2 Golf one.

Think I have sorted this. Fendervg, the foliage seal was sorted and all now appears dry. There was also a.leak on the driver side. I found the grommet around the hood release was not fully seated. Hose test seems to suggest that's that. Also popped on a carbon scuttle cover to neaten the area off.

Tonyd898b5df6cf9f68469af04846766d8f0.jpg181c56976e029d1069720c0950a4e85a.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Looking good. Great to get an update and a positive result!

How did you find the job of fixing the seal? I have all the parts saved up to do mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Four kids and all that

Fixing the seal seemed fairly straight forward once I worked out how the release the top section.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk