Sign in to follow this  
Elboy

Dodgy Speedo

Hi all,

The speedo in my car has stopped working so the majority of the time there is no reading. However, every now and again it will flick into life for a few seconds and then die again. Now i know this could be a number of things but has this ever happened to anyone else and what was the cause. Any ideas??

Don´t worry mate!

That might just be the connection between the speedo cable and the cluster unit... :idea:

It isn´t difficult to replace (if needed). Well there´s not much space to work there... :wink:

But it´s no big deal!

Try to take it off to inspect. :)

Yeah it does seem like it might be a connection problem. I just wondered whether certain components such as the speed sensor might behave like this when they are on their way out.

Apart from the cluster itself - it could be a bad earth on the gearbox, dodgy wiring or a faulty speed sensor on the box (my G60 one was bad, kept dropping out, was only about £15 from VW - this started happening after a clutch replacement BTW :mad: )

yeah vw quoted me £20 for the transmission speed sensor, but they said there was speed sensors at the wheels too! Is this correct? They want £47 quid a side for them.

the wheel sensors are for the ABS... :roll: typical VAG not knowing their arse from their elbow... :mad:

Speedo sender is on the gearbox and is driven off the ring gear on the Diff....

Cheers mate, i thought it sounded a bit wierd when he said they were on the wheels. Well thats narrowed it down a bit. I dont have abs on mine anyway i dont think.