Mardecconor

Sunroof HELP ! - Dreaded problem

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84246[/ATTACH]

Hi Everyone, using my 94 VR at the weekend as the weather was nice decided to have the sunroof open on tilt, what a mistake ! the dreaded problem of the cable guide snapping on one side with the sunroof open in the tilt position aarrrhhh. Whats the best long term fix I want to try and keep the car as std a possible, are spare parts available, can I swap mechanical parts from mk3 golfs etc. Any help appreciated or if there are any member nearby to NN18 9EH area. Car is garaged so is protected from the weather.

Thanks Alan

Edited by Mardecconor

poop.com!

moonroof is the long term fix

repair kits obsolete a long time ago

mechanical swaps not possible i believe

lots of info on the forum about them & which model etc - have a good search

my gf did manage to get her roof shut when she has her storm when her cable guide snapped but it was on slide not tilt - she did manage to wiggle it back closed though

Mine also snapped at the weekend, managed to get it shut.

I see various options for moon roof from golf, Passat B3 / B4 and even skoda Octavia mk1 estate.

Not to start yet another topic on this I thought it would be a good idea to tag onto this one.

What is the best mechanism that people have gone for in terms of fitment and wind noise as I have heard some people say increased wind noise with moon roof?

B3/B4 seems to be the best option. The others don't appear to fit correctly because they don't match the curvature of the roof exactly, so you get wind noise at speed. You will also need to make sure that the deflector at the front is working properly.

It's a real shame VW didn't engineer this option to last. It's one of my favourite features of a Corrado.

I fitted a B4 Passat moon roof to the 8v about 6 months ago. With small adjustments here and there it fits really well.

It doesn't follow the curve perfectly, but is more than adequate for my needs. It certainly doesn't leek and alows me roof top fresh air on demand ( which is most days ).

Another bonus is the capability for extra sunlight during the darker days, with the slide of a screen.

I also re-trimmed the lining whilst in there.

Thanks for all the replies, as I'm new to the Corrado scene can anyone provide some info on how I can close the roof without having to use gaffer tape !

Carefully remove the Interior Light and then (from memory) there are 2 screws that hold on the plastic surround. Remove that and then you shoud see attached to the sunroof motor a cranked "tool" which will manually wind down the roof.

Hope that helps?

Ian.

Thanks for all the replies, as I'm new to the Corrado scene can anyone provide some info on how I can close the roof without having to use gaffer tape !

if you pop the interior light out - careful of the tiny bracket on the LHS which can come off but easily put back on

unscrew the 2 screws you can see holding the interior light cover onto the roof & slide it towards windscreen a touch to get out

you will then see the sunroof motor & there should be an allen key attached to it. there is a small cover over the allen key hole which will gently move aside.

it will then be a case of trying to get a screw driver or similar to push the broken slider back into position a little at a time as you wind the roof shut manually with the allen key

it is a wriggle but possible with patience

other option could be to try & remove the roof panel itself so as you can get to the broken slider from the top (outside) & then wind & jiggle shut

Carefully remove the Interior Light and then (from memory) there are 2 screws that hold on the plastic surround. Remove that and then you shoud see attached to the sunroof motor a cranked "tool" which will manually wind down the roof.

Hope that helps?

Ian.

jinx ;) lol

I am looking at using a golf mk3 mech as the Passat B3 / B4have same fragile mech as the Corrado.

I planned on then using the Passat B3 / B4 moon roof glass - Which I believe should bolt straight up to this mech (if anyone can confirm either way that would be great!)

My only remaining question then is what sun shade / slider should I be using? that from a Passat B4 (preferred as looks better than B3!) or the one from the Golf?

Any tips for removing head lining without damaging appreciated ! :)

Pete

does anyone know if its possible to use the MK3 Golf mechanical components and still retain the original steel roof. can anyone offer any advise on how to remove the headlining part of the sunroof so I can remove the steel roof. Ed China on Wheeler Dealers has a special plastic tool but is this really necessary

Edited by Mardecconor

does anyone know if its possible to use the MK3 Golf mechanical components and still retain the original steel roof. can anyone offer any advise on how to remove the headlining part of the sunroof so I can remove the steel roof. Ed China on Wheeler Dealers has a special plastic tool but is this really necessary

Yes, use the MK3 Roof Cassette,dump the glass as it is the wrong curvature and refit your metal panel to it.

Ian.

Yes, the Mk3 mechanicals will work fine with the metal roof. Get some old clothes on and a big old blanket on the floor and be prepared to get filthy cleaning the old unit from grease - when you re-grease do use the synthetic stuff - plenty of other good advice here on the site.

To take the roof out you will need to remove the headlining, just work through all the screws and connectors and slide it out of the rear hatch, the sunroof inner cover comes off first, simply push the old one back and then rotate it and pull it out. Sounds weird but it works and becomes clearer as you do it - plenty of detailed advice on this site elsewhere. My big tip is to take your time, clean everything, take the best from the parts you have from the Golf and original car - this may mean combining parts from each. Rebuild it off the car and test it slowly. It took me ages to work it out but I was well chuffed with the results but bear in mind it is not a quick job