Sign in to follow this  
robqt88

Handling, Clunking and a bit of unpredictability!!

Hello.

My C G60 has a problem with staying in a straight line, on acceleration and braking.

It clunks when I go over the slightest bump, and has a mind of its own most of the time.

I went through the normal routes of investigation:

Tracking - (Went and had it adjusted, TWICE!!)

Track rod ends (Fine)

Ball Joints (Fine)

Top Mounts (Changed)

Shocks (Changed)

Wishbone Bushes (Changed)

Wheel Bearings (Fine)

Brake Discs (Changed)

Still not a nice car to drive! NOT HAPPY!!

So I looked at the steering Rack and found the following observations.

The Drivers Side of the rack (when on full left hand lock) seams to show play.

The movement in NOT between the Chassis and the steering rack, but inside of the rack its self. The "toothed" barinside of the rack that the track rod screws into has got play in it. It has about 2 or 3mm of play up and down before the rack moves in and out. There is none of this movement on the passenger side when replicated.

I have just ordered a second hand rack from the breakers, but just wondered if others had seen this before?

Also, Looking at the Strut Top Mounts, the Drivers side one has a smaller gap between the top of the arch and the top plate, than the passenger side. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance!

Rob.

It's the rack that's causing the odd handling.

Having just replaced one recently myself, I can tell you you will be pleased afterwards. Get it done professionally on a ramp because removing the 2 pump inlet unions is a real git. Relace the nearside bush with a powerflex poly one too for good measure.

Yeah top mounts can look uneven but providing there is no vertical play when jacked up, you'll be fine.

K

I've got a 2.0 8v PS rack for sale if you're interested? £50. can bring it to GTI festival this sunday if you're going.

only done 72K, off a 1994 car.

Cool!

I am fortunate enough to have a Ramp and full set of tools at my disposal, so I can get on with it ok.

Just to check, by "nearside bush", you mean the block that clamps the rack to the subframe...correct??

Rob.

Aye that's the one. The offside side of the rack is bolted down solidly. Get yourself some new bolts and nuts x 4 from VW for the rack as they are of the pinch variety and the bolts are splined. Single use only.