knightrider

VR6 Hunting When Cold on Tickover - Thoughts

Engine has been fine last 20k or so miles. Left it for about 6 weeks, not driven. Battery was flat. Started and it now sort of pulses and hunts, very regular, when cold, kind of vrrooom, vrrooom, vrrooom. Stops once car is warmed to operating temp. Black smokes a bit when revved whilst cold. Seems to be running too rich. Any ideas what could be causing this. Sensor somewhere. I have a reasonable knowledge of cars and engines but do not know how VR6 cold enrichment works.

Because of the battery being flat for a period of time the ECU needs to learn the engine again . If you do a search on it , you will find all the info .

I would be surprised if this is the reason. During periods when not using my VR very much I always pull the battery, which can be off for weeks at a time. And when I reconnect it, it drives honestly the same as it does if I've left the battery connected between drives.

Could be down to the coolant sensor for the ECU, though I'm not sure if that's in play right from cold - I think it is. Might be reading an incorrect value and not fuelling the car correctly - this would also explain the black smoke (possibly running rich?)