Daveproyoyoyo

Rear VW badge refurb

So I've been looking at my rear VW badge for ages thinking how tired it looks now all the chrome effect stuff has finally peeled off. After spending a long time looking for one in good condition, I finally gave up and thought about using a chrome vinyl wrap. So I gave it a go and after a few goes I have ended with this. I think its not perfect close up but from a couple of feet away you wouldn't notice the imperfections at all.

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/Dave_Protheroe/media/6_zps6eqverxh.jpg.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84559[/ATTACH]

It was time consuming and there are a few small folds on the outside edge which you can see in the photos but I think it looks pretty good in the end. The fiddly bit was cutting out lots of different shapes for the inside parts of the badge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84560[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84561[/ATTACH]

Edited by Daveproyoyoyo

Better than my attempt, i put the badge in some acetone as someone told me it would take all the paint off, it did that, but also melted the badge :lol:

hmmm got me thinking this has

how about plasti dipping the rear badges with a chrome film

no need for awkward cutting

daveproyoyoyo (whoa thats a tough used name to type lol) - out of curiosity what was the cost of the vinyl wrap?

Better than my attempt, i put the badge in some acetone as someone told me it would take all the paint off, it did that, but also melted the badge :lol:

hmm yes it's a bit corrosive that tack PMSL

Oh I should have mentioned that I tried plastic dip but the closest colour I could get came out looking like brushed aluminium. It would look spot on on the Corrado and VR6 badge as that already has that kind of effect but for the 2 VW badges front and rear, it really needed to be almost a mirror finish.

My vinyl was £5.99 from eBay and there was plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daveproyoyoyo

Oh I should have mentioned that I tried plastic dip but the closest colour I could get came out looking like brushed aluminium. It would look spot on on the Corrado and VR6 badge as that already has that kind of effect but for the 2 VW badges front and rear, it really needed to be almost a mirror finish.

My vinyl was £5.99 from eBay and there was plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good info, thank you :)