marks2

Super Charger Timing Belt Failure

i know i am tempting fate here but honestly no offence intended - this thread really makes me happy ive got a VR & not a G!!

I have a similar feeling about owning a valver and it also extends to when I read about VR6 chains.

I have a similar feeling about owning a valver and it also extends to when I read about VR6 chains.

Timing chains are something you'll have to do once, if you're unlucky, in the lifetime you own a VR6 - they're really not a big deal.

Timing chains are something you'll have to do once, if you're unlucky, in the lifetime you own a VR6 - they're really not a big deal.

Wanna swap for a valver then?

Wanna swap for a valver then?

Already owned 2x 2.0 16v's... no real desire to own another one to be honest :)

Already owned 2x 2.0 16v's... no real desire to own another one to be honest :)

It was worth a try :)

I remember when this happened to my G60. German ebay was my fix, although this was about 15 years ago.

It was always a debate with the G-lader failures whether the timing belt snapped or if something else seized and caused the belt to snap. Chicken or egg. If you have a stripped belt then that is leaning towards something else seizing/jamming.

A quick update that may be of interest to G60 owners.

Last night I stripped down the remains of my supercharger and have found what I believe to be the cause of the failure.

The woodruff key that locks the timing pulley to the displacer shaft was missing!

The timing had obviously slipped and then the charger locked stripping the timimg belt of 1/4 of it's teeth before it finally snapped.

This was a VW supplied low mileage charger that to the best of my knowledge had not been re-built!

...and i'm back on the road. New supercharger fitted over the weekend along with a new lambda and knock sensor.

Was good to get back behind the wheel and to be on the road again for the summer.