maff

Early/late vr6 Rev limits

In the past I've always had early K reg vr6 distributor engines and a couple of coil pack later lumps.

The one I've just picked up is an L late 93 coil pack engine which I'm not sure is right past 5-5500rpm?

Always remember previous vr6's would hit the limiter without trying but the one I have now feels coarse past 5000 and not really happy at 6000rpm? Low down torque feels very strong, better than I remember and I think the power is all there as I followed it home in our bmw e90 325d which puts out 194bhp/295lbft and I could just about keep up untill forth where I could then reel the vr6 in.

Maybe I've been used to an s54 lump at 8000rpm for too long! But sure the engine is strong, pulls well no smoke at all from the rear, it's also recently had all filters and plugs, oil etc

Would a bad maf cause a weak top end or a sensor?, I've not even tried to see where the limiter is either, it's like a diesel where you realise you'd be better off changing early, my old one wasn't like that?

Cheers

The cam position sensor can cause it to be noticeably down on power and rough at high revs but you will see that straight away on an OBD fault code scan.

All VR6 tail off in torque output at the top end and it's rarely worth going past 6k rpm on any of them. I don't believe there's significant difference between the CP and distributor cars in that respect - after all the rest of the engine is the same.

It doesn't really feel down on power untill the last 500rpm where the engine gets louder and feels harsh.

Was going to put it on a rolling road but if it stayed in front of a 1500kg car with 200bhp/300lbft then it can't be in bad shape?

I'll look into the cam position sensor though, thanks

It's recently had oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter and drive belts, got receipts for all of that lot?

Oils golden clear on the dipstick as well, might give it an oil service and fresh plugs again just to be sure.. Or just take it to the guru at stealth racing!