jaybo

Early style fog and indicator clean up

I've split my frotn lights apart and given the glass and reflectors a good clean and they now look brand new but the fogs and indicators now look pretty old/dirty.

Is it possibe to split these apart with a heat gun to get inside and clean them? If so what have people been using to reseal them?

Risky, you could crack the Glass if heated too much, How Will you Know when they are too hot?

The sealant sers Like concrete and very difficult to remove, both off the glass and worse still out of the actual housing and that's if you get the glass of in 1 piece..

The only sealant I ever use when replacing the lense is made by Sika, white marine sealant used on boats.

Try it, you might be lucky and succeed.

Hmmm..youve scared me off the job now lol.

Is there an easier way to clean? Soak in vinegar or hot water?

Wasn't my intension Jay, just to warn you of the possible consequences..

The cleaning is the least of the problem, it's actually getting them dried out afterwards that's the bugger. I've tried dunking them in hot, soapy

water and then force drying them with compressed air, fine on the outer bits but thanks to the metal bulb cover (At least on the second series lamps)

you cannot get to the center part of the light, the air will just force the water side to side.. Bent pipe cleaners could also work.

Give it a go mate, nothing to loose 'cause if you do break a glass i have spare foglamps available!!

A cheap babies bottle brush and bend it to get inside of the glass will probably work. Just be careful on the reflective part as they have a nasty habit of peeling off!