G60Trevor

Tired g60

Hi , my 92 g60 that I have owned and driven everyday (apart from when it's broken down) for the past 2 years is in need of some tlc . It's recently taken to stopping randomly and used to restart after a few seconds, now it takes 20-30mins to get going . It just dies , the rev counter drops and it coasts to a halt .

The engine has always ran rich despite numerous visits to so called professional establishments and since its last visit where I submitted it with a timing problem .The guy test thrashed it up the road and sheared the crank pulley !!! . Bent the valves etc, he did repair it for nothing ( with me supplying a replacement head ! ). It did run pretty good for a while after , especially with your foot down . But it still ran rich and very jerky at low revs with a massive backfire thrown in for good measure !

Now it's developed this stopping malarkey. I was hoping I could fix it then take it to someone who knows what they are doing and get it properly sorted .

Has anyone had similar issues ? And can anyone put me on to a genius g60 wizard who will bring my Trevor back to his best , preferably Norfolk area but anywhere if it's gonna get sorted .

This is my second g60 , the first one being virtually trouble free for ten years! The latest one has been played with , hot cam , cone ai

r filter , loud exhaust none added by me .

These little cars are great but just help me find someone who knows how to fix them properly .

Welcome to the forum!

Bit of a trek from Norfolk unfortunately, but JMR / John Mitchell Racing based down in Littlehampton on the south coast are G60 experts :) They'd be able to get your Corrado right back up to speed again! Contact details, etc are on their website: http://www.johnmitchellracing.co.uk

I'd seriously consider ditching the cone filter by the way - they're well known for not helping the lifespan of the G-Lader because of less fine filtration compared to the classic airbox / paper filter design.

Where abouts in Norfolk are you by the way?

Do a basic tune-up yourself mate, timing the g60 is an art in itself, half the so called experts

Do it wrong..

What set-up are you running? Presumably just a 68mm pulley and appropriate chip? [Edit; sorry just noticed you said it has been cammed. Has it got bigger injectors or a 3.5 bar fpr?]

If it's running rich then it's either a crap chip or a duff sensor.

Do a basic tune up yourself, or print the instructions and take it to a friendly garage if you don't have the know-how / tools. Then it's a process of elimination to solve.

Was the injector wiring replaced/repaired when the engine was rebuilt?

Edited by Simeon

Welcome to the forum, If you have the know how and the ability. I would start by taking the car back to basics, if the mods have not been put on by you and it has never ran correctly since you've had it.

Some basic things you could check for the cutting out, is the blue temp sensor. Try unplugging it with engine running, the revs should drop but it should keep running. Then plug it back in and the revs should pick up and idle smoothly again.

Check the wiring loom from the lambda sensor, these have a tendency of breaking. You also want to check the wiring for the injectors.

Check all vacuum lines are all okay.

At the end of the day the G60 is basically the 8V GTi engine, so there is a lot of information via google to get the basics running.

If all else fails, just drop the car off at JMR, Onlycharged Dubs, Jabbasport, Dubforce Tunning, Stealth Racing.

I'm sure any of these place could get it back up and running again.

Edited by sankysvr6

Have you tried Clive Atthowe? He's an old boy who has a good reputation in tuning. I had a problem similar although on a 16v that was a knackered ecu that was damaged by the lambda wiring shorting out. Once replaced all was good