chur1996

Cutting out after starting

Car has been running fine recently, with no problems (1994 VR6).

Yesterday morning (not particularly cold, but around 4 degrees centigrade) I started the car as usual, it fired up but then immediately the revs died and it cut out. Repeated the process, did the same thing. Started it for a third time but gave it a bootfull of revs, kept it revving at around 1500rpm for 30 seconds which did the trick: when I released the accelerator, it settled into a (slightly rough though) idle.

Drove to work, idle didn't settle down too much but in fairness it is only a ten minute journey and didn't get chance to warm through properly.

When coming home, same thing. Died immediately after start up, revs needed to keep it going but after 30 seconds of holding the accelerator it is ok to release the pedal. Decided to take it for a 15 mile circuit to thoroughly warm it up, give it some sustained revs etc. Idle was fine when warmed through, but at one point on the drive (after slowing to take a turn off) the car cut out. Big time worry, thought the engine was lunched.

Sat for a few minutes then gingerly tried to fire it up, which it did. Drove very steadily for a mile or so, cut out again approaching a junction (clutch in, revs were dying as I changed down). Fired it up again, no problem. Drove 6 miles home at a steady pace (no more than 50mph on a fast A road, but mostly 40mph) and had no further problems.

Got in it this morning to go to work, same problem. Cuts out immediately, need to give it some revs and maintain for 20 - 30 seconds before it holds itself without cutting out. Drove ten minutes to work without it cutting out though.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the isv do a search and there's a lot of info on the problem. The isv could just need a clean or the damper box might have broken.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would say the isv valve. mine did that for ages and ended up buying a new isv which sorted it out. Can get them on ebay for around £40.

Ok, thanks. Difficult to fit or anything? I'm actually in middle of selling the car so don't really need the hassle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: it was the ISV valve. Had that and the throttle body cleaned, runs perfectly now. Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk