fla

Bass cone rubbing noise

I recently installed a bass tube in the boot. Only 8" as I needed it just as a sound stage filler. It 'seemed' to work intermittently until I removed and checked that the cone made a sort of rubbing noise but when pressed from one side it was fine. The cone hasn't become detached from the centre coil but it seems that if it could be 'dropped' on one side it will be fine.

A bit hard to describe but welcome anyone's solutions. It's not been overdriven - I think I'm a bit beyond the panel shaking bass!

For the voice coil to rub on the pole piece either

- The speaker has been subject to an impact and the magnet assembly has shifted in relation to the voice coil. Unless the magnet assembly is bolted to the speaker basket (i've never seen this on car speakers) there's not a lot you can do.

- The speaker has been over driven and the voice coil has distorted; again not a-lot you can do.

- The suspension has sagged due to age. Try turning the speaker through 180 degrees. This is an old trick used in vintage hi-fi.

Are you sure that you are pushing squarely on the cone? Sideways pressure can result in the voice coil not travelling parallel to the pole piece.

I've left this vertically in front of the radiator for a few days as you're right the voice coil is not running parallel. This is to see if the heat will help realign it. If not I'm thinking of puttung some weight on one side. This is where i press the cone to make the coil not rub and it then sounds absolutely fine.