Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Potential Project - Your opinions please...

Right I have just got the news this afternoon that I have free access to a barn with power... the reason this news is good is that I could potentialy get my hands one:

1x M reg Metalic Green 2.0 16V only 60K on the engine but with front end damage and slight rear

1x H reg Black 1.8 16V complete and in good condition but has a f'ked engine (cam belt snapped)

Basic idea is to make one good car out of the two and break the other... I only have evening and weekends to do the work but have an experienced electician (not an auto electrician though) that is very willing to help do the project with me.

Just wanted to ask a few questions in reference to this before I jump in...

1. Given the amount of free time I have how much time should I be prepared to have to put in?

2. I've not done anything like this before so would it be a good learning project or could I be biting off more than I can chew?

3. How much am I likely to be able to sell a low milage H reg Black 2.0 16V with late spec interior for?

Any constructive advice and help would be appreciated

Cheers Phil

Buy and fix BOTH... 8)

1.8 16V engines can be found easily and cheaply enough (I've got 2 of them in my parents garage! :| ) and they're a doddle to work and learn on... Parts for 'em are cheap and readily available too... 8) You're more likely to get less hassle trying to sell a non-modified nice clean car than one with an engine transplant... ;)

Also if it's only light damage, repair the 2.0 as well, or, if the body's too far gone, break that one up as you'll get more for the later parts than you would for the earlier 1.8 bits... 8) A 2.0 16V engine should pull in some good money (Think PhatVR6 is selling his at the moment for a tidy amount! ;) ) and then all the later dash, switches, seats, door cards etc etc etc should make a nice wedge.... 8)

Cheers Henny, have just dropped my C down there to (hopefully) get it fixed properly this time and have had a chance to have a look at the pair. The black one really is in good condition so depending on how much damage the engine has I might be able to replace the head and have it running again. The green one is a sorry sight... has been spun causing considerable damage to he front cross member, bonnet, wing, and rear pannel. It would cost a lot to fix! I think my best plan would be to leave both cars as they are - sort the head on the 1.8 and break the 2.0 :D

Good plan Phil. Would the 2.0 head fit on the KR block? That way all you've got to worry about is fluids, belt, tensioner, gaskets and head bolts. Say comfortably around 150 notes. 8) Very cool....

the 2.0 head would fit on the 1.8 block but you might be better selling the 2.0 engine complete,

but then again most poeple buy them to upgrade there 1.8 so would have a head already :?

i would break the one with the rear damage though and the black one sounds like it ll fix up easily, as henny said you can pick up 1.8 16v really easily and cheap.

Phil,

This is essentially what I have done with my VR swap/auto comversion. As everything is a learning curve treat it as that and you will really enjoy doing this. I was in the same boat as you, I've never worked on a car before, heres some pointers bits and bobs.

1. Get some good mates who know Corrado's, preferably on a forum, who have done it all before. :wink: If you can get a couple of mobile numbers all the better. There's nothing like instant advice.

2. Dont sell anything until you have finished. You never know what you might need.

3. Every time you remove a screw / fitting if you can put the screw/nut/bolt back do so.

4. Get a MkII manual, you'll be amazed at how simillar the cars are. Get a Bentley manual as well if you can.

5. Dont even start unless you've got a decent tool kit, it does make all the difference, especially when your trying to get manifold nuts off from underneath and its a long reach.

oh...and I thought 6 point sockets were miles better than 12.

Some of the stuff you'll need:

1/2 drive extentions various.

M8 spline drive, long ones. Mine were £5.00 for a set at the boot and have lasted as they are Chrome Vanadium. 99% of cheap tools are a waste of time.

Hex drives - possibly, (needed for brakes).

Torque wrench Ebay is greatish - when people dont bid over retail.

Pliers - got a set of 3 from B&Q for £9.00 and there good so far.

Moles - invaluable for sprung hose clips.

Combi spanners - I got a full set of teng for £20.00

If the money is right..........do it..............do it.....do it .......do it. :) If you need telephone tech support, then I can help. :)

cheers for the help chaps... went down again this evening to see what the state of play is. Basicly the 1.8 snapped it's belt whilst staitionary so there's hope that there's minimal damage. Will prob just try to sort that engine as I don't like the idea of having to do a complete swap... there's some good money to be made here and I need to do somethng to raise some cash as I have to pay for all the work on mine... which currently has severe electrical problems leaving it unroadworthy! :(

i'd strip the head down on the kr lump and inspect it for damage, if its bent a fair few valves and marked the pistons heaviy then buy a decent second hand head for it and get it back up and running, if its only bent one or two valves but some new valves for it and maybe have the head skimmed and drop some new valve stem seals at thesame time, as the valves need to be removed to have the head skimmed on the 16v heads. I'd leave the the 2.0 16v lump complete and sell it with the gearbox, as it will save messing about and will sell quicker, oh and break the later car as you will get more money for the later spec parts. :D