Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

constant flashing and beeping

on my h reg 1.8 16v the oil light keeps flashing constantly and sometimes the buzzer goes off aswell, have unplugged both oil pressure switches the ones on top of the oil cooler, and the buzzer still continues. I'm thinking its being caused by a dodgy connection in th instrument panel, or some wiring fault. The lump has been changed recently but was doing the same thing before on the old engine, is there any tests i can do or any way i can just shut the buzzer off temporarily (sp).

thanks

The (F22) 0.3 Bar Oil Pressure Switch on the Oil Filter Housing should be connected to a Blue/Black wire is the one that controls the oil flashing light on Stage 2 ignition. This sender goes OPEN circuit when pressure goes above 0.3 bar and the light extinguishes - basically when you start the car.

The other sender (yellow wire?) goes CLOSED circuit when oil pressure is above ~1.6 bar. If this doesn't happen and the revs are >2000RPM then the light will flash and the buzzer will sound. If you want to stop the buzzer, connect the 1.6bar wire to the battery -ve terminal or an earth point.

I am having the same problem! Is the yellow wire supposed to be connected to the switch at the front or the one further back :?: :roll:

Hi goofrado,

On mine the yellow wire is connected to the front switch. The switch on mine is whjite (the rear one is brown).

My 16V has started beeping again, I have checked the oil pressure, but the readings are ambiguous. I have tried on this forum to get some accurate oil pressure readings! I guess to be on the safe side I'm going to change the oil pump, at least it'll give me some piece of mind!

Mine has just started to do this too.............

Bloody annoying! Are all are motors donalded? Or are we just having a regular "Oh they all do that eventually, Sir" Moment??

Steve

The oil pressure switches DO fail after a while... if you think about what the switch actually is, you'll understand why they fail.... The switch is basically a small rubber diaphragm with a spring above it and the electrical contacts above that... The oil acts on the rubber diaphragm and eventually rots a hole through it causing the switch to fail... They are dirt cheap (around £7 IIRC) from VAG and are a 30 second job to swap over...

If you're having ANY oil warning problems, first point of call (after checking you've actually still got oil in the engine! :roll: ) is to check the wires, and then change the switches for new ones... if you still get the warning problems, then it's time to dig deeper, both into the engine/wiring and your pockets! :| :lol:

Good luck! 8)