delfinis38

Battery isolation switch.

Maybe wrong forum section but it's seems to fit in with electrical stuff.

Has anyone fitted a battery isolation switch... reason I ask is I've been reading the small print of my insurance and it states under fire it should have a battery isolation switch.

Few questions how have you wired it ?

I assume It should be on the negative side of the battery terminal.. is there any reason why it shouldn't be on the positive side as their is More room.

I guess it would elevate having to carry a 10mm spanner for emergency shut off.

There are a few reasons why it is better to fit to the negative terminal but in reality and for a road car it doesn't really matter.

I had one fitted (by the previous owner) to my Audi S2 Avant. Was useful for isolating the battery in Airport Carparks when away for long business trips and for a quick reset of the ECU.

Yup that something I was looking at.... but there is limited room on the negative terminal being the one nearest the wing and next to the PAS bottle...

can you get battery terminal extensions to raise the switch up and point it in a different direction.

might have to buy one to investigate

Yup that something I was looking at.... but there is limited room on the negative terminal being the one nearest the wing and next to the PAS bottle...

can you get battery terminal extensions to raise the switch up and point it in a different direction.

might have to buy one to investigate

Can you not slide the battery over towards the gearbox? I have a physically larger battery on one of my cars so believe its possible?

good thought. but I have an airco pipe tight up against the positive side so no room for movement.

hence the question about positive side to wire the switch into

Edited by delfinis38

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/battery-isolators-master-switches

If you leave the earth connected to the shell there's always a potential for a short to ground, that's why its preferable to disconnect the earth first when removing the battery.

I think the battery posts are slightly different diameters too?

A 10mm spanner velcro'd to the battery is probably a neater solution?