Adammcc34

Rear suspension removal

I'm after some advice. The bolts holding on my rear struts are really tight and stiff.is there a way of lowering the subframe so I can get my extension bar on the bolt. The petrol tank is in the way.

If you jack the car up the suspension should drop low enough to get to the bolt - be careful though and put it on a jack stand

Take nuts off top of struts and whole beam will pivot to floor - best to stick a jack under it so you can lower it slowly

Don't lower the rear beam TOO far. My understanding is you can damage the rear axle bushings if you remove the top nuts from the dampers and let it drop too far. Definitely support it with a jack and just lower it enough to clear the fuel tank.

Two 17 inch spanners together, ring one side, open end other, normally does the trick with them and can undo when car still on wheels so not straining anything too much.

Admittedly mine didn't look like been on their too long and bolts heads in very good nick. Can get to nut with releasing fluid, inside axle beam from back if that helps.