ger040

g60 ticking noise

Hello an annoying thing has started with my g60

i rebuilt the top end with new tappets (INA) and although my car is not roadworthy at the moment i regularly run the engine up to temperature

and all was fine until recently it develops a annoying ticking noise.

The car starts fine no noises until it reaches 50-60oC and the ticking starts but by 90oC it suddenly stops!

i have replaced the fuel rail as the wiring was crispy as at first i believe the car was misfiring during these temperatures.

i tested the injectors and all are fine. i also fitted a new genuine knock sensor.

i bought this car as a non runner but upon purchase i removed the sump pan to find a good 25mm of thick grey sludge but the area surrounding the oil pick up was clear there was minor surface superficial rust on the crank but i put this down to the car have sat outdoors

The car had sat for almost 2 years

iam temped to flush the engine with a cleaner to see what happens

i asked a friendly VAG dealer mechanic who scratched his head as it has been over 20 years from he worked on a g60 engine.

any ideas if it is something simple

Any idea where the ticking is coming from?

Before starting it for the first time after it's storage did you turn it over by hand? If so was it free?

I had a ticking from the first G60 I owned. Turned out to be a snapped piston ring not that i'm suggesting you have the same issue.

Yes the engine was fine although it did run rich as the cat sensor cabling was broken part of the reason it had failed the mot.

if it was a piston ring would it not constantly tick or am i being stupid?

its the temperature thing that has me confused - faulty tappet but i would expect this to be show more if it was cold but the car starts perfectly to a nice idle with engine quiet

it sounds to be at the top of the engine i removed the oil filler cap and you can hear it but maybe i should get another look

The engine gets very hot quickly not to good for the fingers trying to locate noises

Edited by ger040

I seem to recall (it was over 10 years ago) my ticking noise started when the engine was warm and was most noticeable between idle and 2.5K rpm.

Are you able to post a link to a video?

dont know if i can upload a video as tech is not my thing but will try

went to take a video with my phone and of course the engine ran from cold to 105oc with no noise

TYPICAL!!

Will try again tomorrow to see if it returns as it will do