Sign in to follow this  
Chris M

hello, and some advise please....

hi, nice forum

i've just bought last weekend a 91 g60 corrado wich the bottom crank pully had fallen off, for my mk2 golf 8v and £1700, so far its cost me £500 to compleatly re-build the bottom end with a mk2 16v crank i had lying around, new big ends, mains, rings and sleaved bores reusing the old pistons.

My budget was 1k to get the car back to life so i have £500 left. so could do with some advise as to where to spend the cash wisly.

the car:

its got a s4 charger chip and pully done by Jabba 5k ago

de-cat pipe

cone filter

coil overs

st/st exhaust cat back

17's

my first thought was to buy a charge cooler, well just the cooler part and fabricate the coolant side myself.

not too bothered about porting/polishing the head and manifolds as i will do that myself maybe next year some time.

also could any one give me a ball park guid to what psi bhp and ft/lbs the car should be running with whats allready on

thanks in advance.

chris.

and I'll third it...

And I'll also add that it may well be worth getting someone else to have a look at your charger while the car's off the road... I took Darren (G-Man) up on his offer to inspect my charger even though it'd only been Jabba'd 8 months before the car rebuild started... All I'll say is that I'm soooooo glad I did take him up on the offer! ;)

I'll third it! I managed to get one the other week, but haven't got round to fitting it yet. :?

It should be running bout 190bhp with that spec, with Golf G60 Intercooler you should see some gain in power, not sure how much, but from what I've heard it makes the car pull a lot harder through the gears!

Cheers for the help

But I thought charge coolers were between 80 & 100% more effective than intercoolers?

Don't mean to knock anyone’s advice just don't want to spend the money then wish I’d bought a charge cooler.

PhatVR6, how much would your mate take for that rallye intercooler? i don't know how much they usually go for.

Henny, cheers for the advice but the cars been back on the road now for a week, got the car week last Wednesday and the engine was recon'd and running by Monday night. You've got me all paranoid now, i could do with g-man telling me how quick he could turn one round if i was to ship it down to him for inspection.

this forced induction malarkey is totally new to me, I’ve always been a N/A man myself but superchargers have always interested me.

Oh and the other thing is what sort of temps do you guys get, at the moment the oil temp never seems to go above 76, is this usual been as i haven't really driven it hard yet as the engine's only done 500 miles since rebuild.

The bloke I bought the car off said he regularly got temp's up to 140 :shock:

Just wondering it the fact that the bores are sleeved now might have some effect on heat transfer.

sorry, 45power'd, that wasn't my intention... Your charger should still be within warantee if it's only got 5K on it since it was done, I was just thinking that for the few quid postage while the charger wasn't on the car it'd be worth sending it to be inspected... 8)

If you are still worried about your charger, send Darren a personal message (username G-Man) and ask him about turnaround times and the like... he's approachable and friendly (although he IS a nutter too boot! ;) :mrgreen: ) and won't mind.... 8)

You are right that charge coolers are more efficient than intercoolers size on size, but any charge cooler you can fit into a Corrado enginebay will not be able to compete with the Golf/Rallye intercooler 'cos it's sodding enormous! 8) :lol:

henny, no worrys mate, i'm just a paranoid person anyway, but you are right i'd prefer to know for definate than have all the whatif's in the back of my mind or even worse the big if only :cry:

just PM'd g-man.

henny' date='[/b'] no worrys mate, i'm just a paranoid person anyway, but you are right i'd prefer to know for definate than have all the whatif's in the back of my mind or even worse the big if only :cry:

just PM'd g-man.

pm'd you back ! :wink: