fendervg

Heater matrix demister flap operation

Have just been in the process of refitting my heater matrix, only to discover that the flap that diverts air up for demisting the windscreen appears now to be stuck or is not operating correctly - what a pain! I had kept the controls attached to the heater box and checked them before refitting, but now the direction dial won't move past 8 O'clock - it moves freely all the way to the right. Unfortunately the demist position is the one you need the most.

Does anyone know, or can check, what position this flap should be in when the dial is at 11 O'clock? I'm hoping to get enough access to maybe troubleshoot this without taking everything back out and opening the heater box again.

I had a similar problem, but I noticed the sheath of the Bowden cable had slipped from the springy clamp thing (there is one for either end). I refitted the cable and all worked ok.

Managed to sort this without having to take the whole heater box out. Stripped enough of it to be able to check the position of the flap lever and the flap inside with the matrix still in place and then unclipped the cable on the control side, adjusted and then clipped it again. It turns out the flap is fully down when the dial is at 11 O'clock position to direct the air upwards, so this is with the cable fully pushed forwards.