Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Thumbs up for Focal

The Access 5" components for the front doors/dash are superb and highly recommended, even in the standard door pods. Although they're the bottom of Focal's range (can't afford the sublime Utopias!) they're still excellent. Probably the best £100 components you can buy I reckon. Plenty of excursion in the woofers and the tweeters aren't harsh, but come with an adjustable X-over any how.

They need a good amp to get the most out of them though. They don't like being under driven by head units :?

And Haywire's top tip for the doors is to replace the nasty plastic membranes with some waterproof generic foam sheeting from VW. Cut a letter box slot into it (behind the speaker magnet) and then reinforce the flap (pointing into the door) with some sheet plastic. Phono lead packaging is perfect for this. Then strengthen the surrounding area with duct tape. If you've not got any bitumen sheeting on the door skin, put some on or the speaker will vibrate the panel, which sounds nasty. Don't go mad with the letterbox size or the window will hit it when you lower it.

And no, water doesn't get in the car if you angle the flap properly :wink:

Yeah you're right. Perhaps I should have entitled the thread "What oil should I use?" and it would have generated a lot more interest.

Useful info always seems to get ignored :roll:

Fraid not. They should find it on EKTA because ALL VWs now use this stuff. It's called 'foil' on their system and about a tenner a side IIRC.

It is indeed and it also acts as a sound absorber.

When the cards are off, take your time to add some dynamat to the door skin (if none present), replace all the clips etc that hold the card on and you get a rock solid and water tight door then.

All rattles, squeaks etc in Corrados can be attributed to missing clips and screws etc. They can be dead quiet inside, just takes a bit of work!

K

Sounds (har har) good Kev :)

Just sorted some speakers out for myself as well :) ..... will be getting some dynamat as well 8)

Got some MB Quart components and some audioscape door pods....

Is the cheaper dynamat stuff still up to the job?

Yeah Halfords sell a pack of two sheets for door speakers, about £12 I think.

Good choice on the pods and speakers!