virtuoso23

VR6 Does she sound healthy

My VR is currently on 192,000, runs well no smoke on startup, doesn't use any oil and pulls hard.

Would like opinions on whether it sounds a healthy engine. Unfortunately I don't have much history with the car but during my ownership I have looked after her without thought.

Do you think the chains need doing?

At this millage I would assume the chain/guides have been done, however one can't be certain.

Take a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aORKUuG42NU

The squeal will likely be the aux belt, yes. Does sound a bit more clattery than I'd like though how does it run when it's properly warmed up, and what oil do you have in there?

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Yeah the belt isn't really the concern more so the chain, tensioner & guides etc. When warm it sounds spot on.

I use Millers 10w40

Thanks

When I had the vr6, I only used Mobile 1 15/50 full synthetic . I purchased it had 32k on it when I sold it had 254k. Never did a timing chain or clutch. Maybe you should try a better oil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unless you verified it was ok visually I'd bet your timing chain tensioner was well screwed at 254k .. It doesn't always cause a problem, but could.

Just want to know if others sound the same on cold tick over, are there any tell tale sounds of possible issues specifically chain/guide wear?

I may just bight the bullet for peace of mind and replace the whole chain assembly.

Anyone got input on this?

That's not chain noise. Chain noise is worst at 1200 rpm, it's barely noticeable at idle. That sounds heavy. That said, mine sounds a bit like that sometimes, sounded pretty rough this morning and the chains are less than 40k miles old.

Hi dr_mat, ah interesting yeah it doesn't really get worse when the revs are built up slowly from idle up to 2000rpm.

I'm more experience with the G60 than the VR but just wanted to get input from you guys in terms of engine sound etc. Maybe I am being over worried about it all.