Orkius

Fuel pressure accumulator required for 1.8t?

Hi all. So I've been working under the car and pulled off the external fuel pump business. Any metal part is literally flaking off I'm my hands. So looking to replace bits to freshen it up.

I'm have a 1.8t conversion and was wondering if anyone knows if I can delete the fuel pressure accumulator circled in the pic, and go straight to the fuel filter from the pump?

As I understand it it's required to keep the pressure up on the old kjet system. But I've not been able to find any info for the mk4s having anything similar.

Any advice appreciated. Cheers!11c352f172672fc022192c43a4bc58c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The fuel pressure regulator does exactly as you say, it prevents fuel pressure dropping in the K-Jet system to aid in starting the engine.

With your 20vt setup it is no longer required and vehicles where the engine is fitted from the factory do not have one.

However, you’ll need to keep the high pressure pump in order to supply enough fuel to the injectors on the 20v. The in tank fuel pump will give fuel starvation under load as it won’t flow enough.

Troy.

Hi Troy. Thanks for the reply.

That's how I understood from researching the net. But good to get some first hand confirmation to check my thinking was right. Was planning to leave both the in-tank pump and the external one in the swirl pot (the big plastic box in the pic if I'm right) but just delete the accumulator.

Will see how that goes then.

Cheers

James

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No problem

Your thinking is right. You will need the fuel pump in the tank still to feed the high pressure pump.

Troy.

Edited by Graphite