Sign in to follow this  
Dalek995

Engine Bay Cleaning

My engine bay is in a desperate need for a de-gunking - can anyone recomend how I should go about doing this with the most basic of tools to hand and a desperate want to not remove a single component?

Is it simply a case of pressure washing the cack away or do I need to use a de-greaser - perhaps even stay away from certain cleaning products??

Cheers

Ok no need to go nuts on pressure washer

basically get urself a 5L gunk copntainer a bucket and a set of brushed (soft, med and hard)

then remove as much of the bnoost pipes as possible covering any holes and just go nuts with the gunk

then with just a stream of water u can just water the gunk off and u should get a nice shinny engine bay

ive just dont this in my brother G40 and i did it in my corrado early on in the year and they both came out sweet :)

Gunk's good, but smells nasty... :|

Try the Auto Glym engine cleaner, it's very good.... 8) Spray on, adgitate with a brush then hose/wash off... easy and effective.

i've allways used Jizer its good stuff' date=' has rust protection in aswell.[/quote']

and a very dodgy name :lol:

Gunk's good, but smells nasty... :|

Try the Auto Glym engine cleaner, it's very good.... 8) Spray on, adgitate with a brush then hose/wash off... easy and effective.

I second the AutoGlym cleaner, its very very good and won't perish rubber/plastic hoses/grommets, or damage the paintwork.

Don't use Gunk or other harsh solvents, they should only be used on metal!

Yeah it looks very old that rover :shock: I bet your fingers are now just stumps from all the rubbing :lol:

i've allways used Jizer its good stuff' date=' has rust protection in aswell.[/quote']

and a very dodgy name :lol:

:lol: turns white when mixed with water aswell

does say on the tin can afect rubber and plastic but is safe on paint work.

None of that heavy duty scrubbing with de-greaser for me me, i use my trusty steam cleaner set up just right to remove the muck and nothing else. Dalek where are you based? I could steam out your engine bay in no time at all if you are in reasonable driving distance from my workshop.

Cheers everyone for the input - I must admit - being a design engineer myself, I do find the names of stuff very suggestive! I will have to buy some Jizer just for the principle! Gunk seems to be the one then - provided I take care not to get it on my hoses and paint work.

16VG60 - location quite a distance from you I'm affraid - were talking the Three Counties but I do appreciate the offer - cheers.

Looks like I will just have to scrub the old fashioned way to get the crud off my beloved.

On now to project nose job! - I too am a little intrigued as to what this is all about - come on woody - spill the beans

Work will commence on 08/8/04 until then enough said but i will put up a blow by blow picture when work starts, sorry the butting in on your thread Dalek995 i used gunk before inters this year it did the job but be very careful with it, it does not like paint or rubber and also skin when the gloves you have split.

oven cleaner degreaser does the job too,,,very nice did my charger once still kicking out lots of boost

None of that heavy duty scrubbing with de-greaser for me me, i use my trusty steam cleaner set up just right to remove the muck and nothing else. Dalek where are you based? I could steam out your engine bay in no time at all if you are in reasonable driving distance from my workshop.

John, do you actually have a steam cleaner or is it just high pressure hot water? Most garages say they can 'steam clean' your engine but its usually hot water, which usually causes havoc with the electrics!

If you do a steam clean, is there any precautions you should take for the electrical? That is my real worry. Because on my golf I have, the previous owner steam cleaned it and then ran into some electrical issues after. Was that just a freak incident or should I be worried about it? As soon as my Corrado 16v is done I want to clean the engine/engine bay up a lot. But now after getting my golf that has been steam cleaned I am a bit skeptical. Please let me know what you guys think.

My Steam cleaner can be set up to produce a steam only function which i have used on occaisions. I do however preffer to use a it on a setting just below that at which it becomes purely steam. If steam cleaners are used appropriately there should not be any electrical complications following use. The complications, if any, are normally forth comming in association with poor condition electrical systems or DIY bodged wiring ie the use of scotchlok conectors etc. I have been steam cleaning my customers cars for many years now without problem and to good effect. After cleaning the engine i spray the entire unit with a protective coating that ensures corrosion can not take place. If this practice of mine was problematical i am sure that after having done so for the last ten years one of my customers would of had complained by now. As in so many cases it is not the tooling but how it is used.