George Lee

Body repairs

Morning

After some advice on some work I'm going to do on my corrado. Front passenger wing needs looking at, rear window and rear bumper. Ideally I want to get the car re-sprayed but will get that done later on in the year. So I'm going to do it myself for now. I'm a welder so bodywork wise I won't be too bad it's the prepping and painting I'm interested in and and how people have done it so a good standard and blended it in and info would be great

Thanks 30be2f9916c720b4728cbc145812cb79.jpg28d17377cfd56b14fdd4b8e93f983f2a.jpg693685fde22c32988dd59371cec48c78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've done a couple of bits on mine using this colour matched paint:

https://www.refinishsystems.com/products/aerosols/mixed-colours/colour-match-aerosols

Which wasn't a bad match and had a pretty good finish. Cans also have a decent nozzle which provides a narrow, long spray that you have a bit more control over. Blending is going to be the trickiest bit and I didn't get it quite right... I was have metallic so I don't know if that made a difference, but I ended up with a slight "halo" effect right at the edge of the paint. I'm not exactly sure where I went wrong, all I can assume was that it was part using rattle cans so there was fine overspray outside the area I was spraying. It might be different with a solid colour, but I can't really offer any tips on blending other than practice!

Other things... obviously don't mask off any areas of paint as you'll get an edge. Rub down a good surrounding area to remove clear coat for blending. Flatten your primer but I wouldn't flatter the colour coat, this is especially true with metallic colours as you start to pull out the metal flakes and end up with different shades. Solid colour might be ok, but I am still not sure I'd advise it. Clear coat can be applied soon after the colour coat.

Also, make sure you get primer and clear coat from the same system. I've made the mistake of lacquer reacting with the paint before!