_Matt_

Newbie & body work advice

I picked up my Corrado last weekend and starting to make my list of jobs to do. I’ve popped a post-up in the newbie thread with some pictures of the car. This car is already a keeper I love it! So refreshing to drive after years of dreary 4 pot diesels, some of them supposedly “sporty”.

I bought the car with a few bits to do, it looks lovely bodywork wise and has benefited from a blow over spray which is mostly good but there are couple of niggles where masking wasn’t tight enough against trim. In terms of exterior work I thought it would be great to get your guys tips and recommendations so thought I’d list the things I’ve come across:

1.The door sills /door aperture have some rust under the plastic kick trim. It looks like water collects here and I was thinking this was because the door seals needed replacing? I’ve seen the seals thread but before I part with £80 quid I wanted get your opinions. I will get the rust repaired too.

2.Terminology question – I noticed one of the previous MOT’s said “rear sub frame has surface rust but not structurally weakened” or something similar. When I looked under the car the rear axle beam appears to have been painted in something black and looks good to me, is this the part they refer to as the rear sub frame? The rest of the underneath looks pretty good to me but I am no expert – there’s some surface scabs around the front jack points but I can’t stick a screw driver through any of it or flake anything off, some not so great pictures attached. I would like to catch it now and get it fixed though.

3.Undersealing – any recommendations on where to get this done? I’m under the impression it might be a good idea to keep it sweet. I’m based in South Hertfordshire but don’t mind a bit of travel. From what I’ve read I think I am looking at about £500 to get it cleaned, injected and undersealed? It would be good if anyone knew of a place that could fix the rust patches on my sills, jacking points and additional a 10pence piece sized scab on the sunroof & around the drain holes on my boot lid too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91669[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91678[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91684[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91687[/ATTACH]

Cheers

Matt

Welcome aboard mate. Sounds good if you've bought one and have the money to spend in getting things done right.

I would say the rear beam is what was mentioned on your mot and has been painted since. A common occurrence but they are still solid.

As for the sill covers, I would gently remove them and have a proper look at what is happening under them. I recently removed mine and it took forever to get the adhesive from them.

As for the underseal, do a search on here as different people have done different things.

More importantly there is help and advice here. Also it is a great place for sourcing parts if needed.

Good luck with your car

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Also, I didn't look at your pictures as I opened this thread on tapatalk on my phone. .. and they don't all come through for some reason. I'll look on my pc another time

Enjoy the car

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Cressa for the tips :) Yeah take a look at the pics when you get a mo.

I've got about a £grand spare for bodywork so hoping i can get the undersealing done and the rust fixed. I am lucky my rust is in locations not on show.

Hey I’m looking to have the rust spots repaired and I would like the underside cleaned down and resealed with Waxoyl or similar, inc injecting into hard to reach parts. I just want to ensure it stays solid under there but am on a learning curve with bodywork.

I don't know how far you are going to get with £1000. In order to wax oil effectively you will need to have the car striped of bumpers, door cards arch liners etc yes you could probably get to most places without taking them off but it wouldn't be a 100% guaranteed coverage. If you want I could ask the estimator tomorrow in work as to what sort of price you would be looking at.

I’ve been doing some reading on this forum where it seems the standard undersealing is pretty good and I suppose it is as it’s lasted 23 years and my only corrosion is around the jacking points. I also picked up that undersealing the entire car could look like I am trying to hide something come resale.

I’m now thinking I should just patch repair the jacking points and save myself the cash on undersealing. Hopefully the money I have available will allow me to fix the others patches of rust I have.