Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

Gear Stick Sticking in Reverse

Guys,

Driving my car yesterday (for almost the first time) and I noticed that getting the gear stick OUT of reverse was a problem at times - it would just not want to come out even with the clutch fully down.

I had this problem a few weeks ago when i first bought the car - I initially felt it may have been gear linkage related - but the gear linkages have just been replaced and the problem is still there (they were replaced as one of them broke!)

The gear stick has one of the those knobs on it with flashing LEDs - not my choice at all - but it came with the car when i bought it a few weeks ago :(

The gear stick feels like it can be pushed down way too easily too - which scares me in case i accidently go in to reverse!

One person has said that he had a similar problem when his clutch cable was on its last legs (totally different car) - the Corrado 1.8 16V (1991) has a hydraulic clutch i think.. so any ideas guys? Hopefully it wont need a new gearbox or clutch :(

Are you driving my car when Im not looking?

Seriously though. I have had exactly the same problem. Sometimes you just have to yank that bad boy out!

My gear stick is original.

Guys,

Driving my car yesterday (for almost the first time) and I noticed that getting the gear stick OUT of reverse was a problem at times - it would just not want to come out even with the clutch fully down.

I had this problem a few weeks ago when i first bought the car - I initially felt it may have been gear linkage related - but the gear linkages have just been replaced and the problem is still there (they were replaced as one of them broke!)

The gear stick has one of the those knobs on it with flashing LEDs - not my choice at all - but it came with the car when i bought it a few weeks ago :(

The gear stick feels like it can be pushed down way too easily too - which scares me in case i accidently go in to reverse!

One person has said that he had a similar problem when his clutch cable was on its last legs (totally different car) - the Corrado 1.8 16V (1991) has a hydraulic clutch i think.. so any ideas guys? Hopefully it wont need a new gearbox or clutch :(

This might sound daft, but you are actually pressing down the gearstick again and reversing it back out the exact same way you put it into gear? I initially didn't give too much thought into the gear change thing and would just pull the car out of reverse without depressing the gear stick first and wondered why it was occasionaly stubborn.. then I realised I was just being a ham fisted twit and actually pressing the shifter down and then changing out of gear was how it was supposed to be done :|

Jim i think you have just solved the problem!

No - i didnt depress it to take it out of reverse.. oppps :( lucky i asked early on in my corrado ownership rather than being brutual with it and knackering the gear box!

I used to have a Mk2 golf and you would push it down to get it in reverse, but just pull it out without pushing down. (that is my defence and im sticking to it! :lol: )

I'll give this a go as soon as i get back in the car! Thanks Jim!

I got this car very cheap so i think i'll be posting in this "common questions" sections quite a bit! :roll:

Well I was used to the wonderful cheap Saxo gearbox which, i'm almost certain, just went in and out of reverse without the need to press anything down. It didn't occur to me at all in my first week or so of Corrado re-ownership to take it out of gear the same way it went in.

Still - I am glad this seems to be the answer for you. I was afraid I was going to get laughed at for such an obvious answer!! ;)

Ok i tried doing this.. but i found once the gear stick was in reverse it was very hard to push it down again.. this is a problem due to the stupid gear knob thats been put on im sure!! This evening i actually blocked a road for a few seconds (felt like ages cos i was being stared down by a van driver!) as i tried getting the car OUT of reverse MID 3-point turn!!!

It would be interesting to know if Dancing Fish, was able to fix the problem on his standard gearbox using Jim's tip.

Sometiimes you just have to adjust the cable-select bit at the gearbox end. When standing in front of your engine bay, look down the right hand side onto the gearbox, and you'll see 2 cables terminating onto a shift mechanism on top of the gearbox. The left one of these two usually needs a bit of adjusting (undo the screw, move the screw a bit forwardm tighten up again, and run through the gears, these steps may need re-doing to get it perfectly set up).

HTH,

Tempest

Lately its been behaving itself much better - comes out of reverse fine - if the problem persists i'll look in to the adjustments you mentioned. Thanks for advice Tempest!