kerobert

Robert's Corrado G60 Autobody restoration

Hello from Canada!

I'm in Vancouver and love the content of this forum. I've scoured various Corrado forums in my time as an owner and have learned a lot since being a member here. Thanks so much for having an amazing community of helpful and supportive members.

I'm in the process of restarting the body of my 91 G60 and thought you might like to see the process along the way. Some info is Vancouver specific so please excuse that.

Enjoy!

History:

I purchased the Corrado from my Father-in-Law in 2007. He originally purchased it from VW Germany while living in England. He had is made NA spec as they were retiring in Canada.

As we all have done, there was a lot of maintenance and upgrading mechanically along the way that the car was in dire need of. The rust area along the divers side rear wheel well apprised in 2007. Due to live, work, cancer, life work etc the body got ignored. The car also sat for 4 yrs with a car cover in vancouver rain - my mistake as water ingress between the body and paint.

In looking for a autobody shop, it quickly became apparent that not many had good experiences. I took the car to a number of places and either wasn't impressed with the work environment or got the "Go Away" estimate price.

After reading numerous testimonials about shops on various forums, I decided to stop by VIP Autobody in Burnaby. The shop has a bad history pre Nov 2016. the new owner as of Nov 2016 is determined to turn the shops reputation around and has been very transparent with everything. I've been able to stop by numerous times, talk about the car, my concerns, look at cars he's just finished, starting and in the middle of working on. They currently have a Jag E-Type they are working on. VIP Autobody is only a couple of blocks away from my work, so it's easy for me to stop by anytime to check on the work.

VIP was the only shop who provided me a very detailed breakdown estimate within 24hrs of assessing the car.

I've discovered that there is a history to the car the Father-in-law never told anyone. There has been body damage to both rear 1/4 panels. Bad body restoration that contributed to the rust developing. There are areas where there is no metal work done and 1+ inch of bondo! They will all get properly repaired.

We are discussing options of either cutting out the rust or remediating it in place. Both options will most likely see rust potentially returning at some point in the future. I've heard this from many shops and friend in the industry.

I'll be replacing the windsheild regardless as the current one has issues. I have space 1/4 glass. If the hatch glass breaks, I'll bee needing that but he estimates there should be no problem even though it's bonded to the hatch.

You can zoom in on the pics to see the areas identified as areas needing attention.

For now enjoy the initial photos. I welcome any comments, suggestions along there way.

Greetings!

When I first read this I thought you meant the supercharger was removed but now I realise NA meant North American :). Out of interest is there much difference between Canadian and NA spec? Perhaps one doesn't come with those horrible seat belt setups.

Good luck with the body repairs - look forward to future pics and story! I hope you keep the same colour.

G

There's a bit of differences btw NA and Euro Corrado's.

In NA The Headlights lights are dimmed, bumpers are made for NA licence plates, seatbelts are NA style, americas cars have knee braces under the dash while in Canada we have parcel trays. Also the obvious of left hand drive.

I think the father-in-law chose working fog lights as an option. I thing the standard version was fog dummy lights.

I am definitely keeping the same colour as it's rare.

There aren't many Toffee Grey G60's around the world.

Tiny update

I stopped by to see the progress and discuss the rust issue.

Rust is getting cut out and new metal going in. After reading all your comments and talking with others in the industry I had already decided I wanted it cut out, and so had VIP, so we are on the same page about everything. They'll get started cutting and welding tomorrow.

Bumpers are off, and glass will get pulled at the last moment to keep the interior clean.

Enjoy the pics.

So I'm a little ****ed tonight.

When I had decided and committed to attending to the Corrado bodywork, I also had plans for the future... possibly a VR6 swap.

The one thing that is the most difficult to find is a good quality Corrado Vr6 hood.

Lucky for me that a member here in Vancouver was selling one he had.

I'm ****ed that:

1: the hood was not in then condition that was advertised

2: I didn't do my due diligence inspecting the hood when the member dropped it off.

The member here in Vancouver advertised the following:

"Mint good from a 93 DBP vr6 corrado. These are becoming extinct and are a nice upgrade for the g60 guys who don’t want a g60 style hood.

It’s been painted, it’s still wrapped in plastic and a sheet, well protected."

When it was dropped off, it was wrapped protecting the new paint.

I'm really ****ed at myself for not pulling the wrapping off and thoroughly inspected it.

If I had, I would NOT have bought it.

I'm really ****ed at myself for believing and trusting.

This hood is far from MINT! It's been damaged and in incredibly poor condition.

Whom ever did body work on this thing had no idea what they were doing.

WTF do I do with this thing?

Here's video from todays bodywork inspection:

https://youtu.be/uwrrQiC5DYA

VIP Autobody will get to me on Monday with a quote to fix it if possible.

They already recommend garbaging it, but have said it can be saved... but for how much?

I'm not sure if I really want to throw the $500 I paid for it in the garbage.

I'll have more pictures of the progress on the body later.

The car is looking really good.

The past poor bodywork is being removed, rust is getting cut out, the body is straight...

I just wish I had unwrapped it and looked at it before accepting it. I think the PO also should have unwrapped it to make an accurate description before creating the ad.

I'll have to deal with it now.

FYI, New pics have been added to the picture folder.

Enjoy

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNNBloWwAZ1itFPGz2fpqnMumfgNvdzdRcUS0loZfPeDyQknjHQOBrr_JylTpWJ3w?key=c0pXUGtwbUlTTFExRnFIMVNZcHFBWkczRXdWVW93

Have you tried the new bonnet on to check the panel gaps against the wings? Reason I ask is I'm sure I have heard the fitment isn't all that good with early wings. I don't have any personal experience with this but might be worth checking before you decide what to do with it. Also please don't put a vr6 in what is probably one of the most rare original G60's.

Well I know it's been a while since this was last updated...

I've been out of the country but work has continued.

We are now at the point where we are waiting on Bullet Autoglass to come and pull the glass. He had a family emergency which took precedent.

Hoping have glass pulled by next Tuesday, then pain by end of week or sooner.

For now, NEW pics have been added to the photo album

Enjoy!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNNBloWwAZ1itFPGz2fpqnMumfgNvdzdRcUS0loZfPeDyQknjHQOBrr_JylTpWJ3w?key=c0pXUGtwbUlTTFExRnFIMVNZcHFBWkczRXdWVW93

Very nice work there! - once the paint goes on it like a weight being lifted.. been in that position with GTI's in the past ;) - got it all to do one day on my Corrado :(

Small update... sorry no pics yet.

All glass came out perfect.

Tiny surface rust area around lower drivers side corner rear hatch - common area. Other than that all good.

Major issue

As the windshield was getting pulled, the seal at the top drivers side corner fractured.

I need a windshield seal now.

Time to go one the hunt - I'm open to suggestions...

Small update,

Bullet Auto was able to get the windshield with the moulding etc so we have everything we need.

FYI there were only 2 Corrado windshields in all of the USA and Canada in the glass ordering system. I know there are some that are on Vortex etc, but if you actually wanted to order glass from Speedy, Broco etc, the system they use for ordering only had 2.

Now there is 1! LOL

There was only a very small area of surface rust in the rear hatch where the glass contacted the lower drivers corner. That's all fixed now.

VR6 Hood has been properly restored as has my original G60.

Contact areas for the glass are getting prepped and car is possibly getting primered this week!

I also kept the rust panel as a souvenir...LOL!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93439[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93443[/ATTACH]

Haven't posted for a while...

Life got busy, but work on the car continued.

Enjoy the pics of the process.

Currently car is primered, colour matched, decided to go ever so slightly darker with a metallic flake...Very Classic looking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93481[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93483[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93485[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93489[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93491[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93493[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93495[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93497[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93499[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93501[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93509[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93515[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93517[/ATTACH]

CAR HAS PAINT and it looks awesome.

Needs to have some "orange peel" removed. Painter put on 3 coats of clear, so we have room to sand and smooth out the finish.

Have been deciding on whether or not to put back the original antenna or something else.

I have a stubby antenna coming that is only about 2 inches long that attaches to the original base.

I have a new longer OEM looking antenna.

I have a FIN that connects to the original base. We are painting the FIN same colour as car, so will see how we like it.

Some people don't like the fin, some do... Initially I hated it but it's growing on me as I look at other cars with them.

Pics over 1MB won't load, so you'll have to go here to see more info and pics:

http://dubberz.com/forum/corrado/robert's-corrado-g60-autobody-restoration/60/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93599[/ATTACH]

Sorry for not updating this thread for a while.

Life got busy... as it does...

Along the way we played with the thought of putting an antenna FIN over the original base...I decided to keep the original for now.

We aslo discussed putting the mouldings back on or leaving them off...we decided to put them back on.

I also decided to tint the rear 3 windows. The LED lights of vehicles and big ass trucks these days are blinding. I already LOVE having it on.

New Roof Rain mouldings from Karmanski, and New Corrado G60 door sills from SPoonfed

Patch of new sheet metal got epoxied and protected.

Whole car looks amazing with new paint, rust gone and VR6 hood on.

We treated all black plastics to bring them back to life...

So here are the updated pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93688[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93691[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93694[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93697[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93700[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93703[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93706[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93715[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93718[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93721[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93724[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93727[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93730[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93733[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93736[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93742[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93748[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93751[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]93754[/ATTACH]

Karmannski roof trims looking great along with new heated blue tinted side mirrors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93991[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93997[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94000[/ATTACH]