Sign in to follow this  
bighands

Allen key size- rear caliper cariers?

as the topic heading says! does any one know the size of the allen key 2 remove the rear caliper's? need 2 go 2 halfords 2 get one, so asap would be much apprechiated guys n girls! :lol:

Cheers Gav, wasn't sure on that one hence asking for confirmation... 8) just know it's the bigger one of my 3 sockets! ;) :lol:

Cheers fellas, but no joy, just brought one, and guess what...yup it sheared straight off, the allen key bit, :mad: :mad:

So now anyone have any idea's on how 2 remove a round bolt?!?! i want a 121 with the bloke who put allen bolts on it, alone in a room with a baseball bat! :D would make him see my point soon enough, thing is i need the car tomorrow, and i HAVE to replace the rear bearings n brakes today, and yet again i have 3 wheels on my corrado! an no way of removing round bolts........ :mad:

Did you shear the head off the bolt?

Can you get the other bolt out and get the carrier off the hub?

If you can then you have a good chance of getting the remains of the bolt out with molegrips and penetrating oil.

Failing that, off to the scrappies for a 2nd hand carrier off any VW with rear discs, mk2/3, Corrado, passat etc.

Gavin

do what i did,smack a slightly smaller socket over the head of the allen bolt,then undo,i tried heat etc and the socket job was the last resort and it worked :)

nope, i've had it now! gunna let my mechanic sort it out, had enough! the allen bolt head has sheared off inside, tried the socket over the top, just slipped off, so just off 2 the garage 2 see how much he wants! :( seems nothing 2 do with the brakes wants 2 budge! shouldnt be 2 much, got all new discs n bearings, all hes got 2 do is take the old ones off and fit the new ones, still want that 1-2-1 . . . . :mad:

Cheers lads

hammer a torx (T8 IIRC) into it, the teeth will grip where the allen bolt has rounded out and should allow you to undo the bolt... That's how the garage'll probably do it... ;) 8)

Oh, and Gav? :p Couldn't remember if the ones I had were 4, 5, and 6mm or 4, 6, and 8 mm, but knew it was the biggest one! :oops:

Cut away the plastic cover that surrounds the allen head, then you can get mole grips on it, thats the way we used to do em, more often than not the allen head would round off so alot of the time we didnt even try, just get the mole grips on it, unless youve snapped the bolt itself then your f*cked 8)

Cut away the plastic cover that surrounds the allen head, then you can get mole grips on it, thats the way we used to do em, more often than not the allen head would round off so alot of the time we didnt even try, just get the mole grips on it, unless youve snapped the bolt itself then your f*cked 8)

there arnt any rubber covers on the rears,only on the fronts,and there is very little room for mole grips

these allen headed bolts alway get dirt in them, I always have a dig around with a sharp object first to clear out any rubbish, you then get full engagement with the allen key and are less likely to round them off.