Sign in to follow this  
Red=Fast

G60 question

if someone were to take out the 1.8L from a G60 and swap in a 2.0L how much BHP would be gained? what would the other perks be? what cons would it have? just discussing it with a friend and thought i would ask here to see if any of you would know.

I take it you mean put a 2.0L 8V engine in conjunction with the G60 charger in place of the 1.8L PG engine that the G60 came with? If so the 1.8L / 2.0L 8V engines Stateside were crossflow, correct me if I'm wrong. Darren (aka G-man) from this forum would be best to answer this specific question as he is working on a similar project right now, and I suspect he will be able to give you rough BHP figures. Be prepared for custom-making bits etc if this is the route you plan on going done. If you just mean swapping the supercharged 1.8L 8V PG engine for a normally-aspirated 2.0L 8V you would lose 43 BHP(115 BHP as standard), if it was swapped for the 2.0L 16V unit this should yield 150 BHP, a loss of only 8 BHP.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

i am not planning on doing that myself.

so you think that you would be losing bhp? i am not too familiar with different engines. i guess more liters doesnt = more power?

UK BHP for common VW engines (roughly) [not 100 % sure on figures or codes, correct me if I'm wrong]

1.8L 16V KR = 136 BHP (EDITED)

2.0L 16V 9A = 136 BHP (EDITED)

1.8L 8V = 112 BHP

2.0L 8V = 115 BHP

1.8L 8V PG (G60) = 160 BHP (UK) / 158 BHP (US)

So using any of these engines you would be losing some power albeit not much in some cases :(

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60

BigEastsideVWG60, 2.0-16v is 139bhp - same as 1.8-16v (UK Spec)

I would expect a US spec 2.0-16v to have even less than this due to the emission laws

unless BlackOut16v means to swap the 1.8 for the 2.0 and keep the G60...... that would surely gain power then?

yeah, i thought i was clear with that, i guess not. yeah i was talking about just swapping bottom ends. getting rid of the 1.8 and putting in a 2.0. keeping the g60 set up and just swapping the bottom end. how much more bhp do you think i would be getting?

A good 2.0L G60 8V conversion with the typical associated other mods that one does at this time would yield an output of about 220 BHP and a torque increase to around 195lbft. Well worthwhile conversion but choose your components carefully, as a poor choice can result in a hateful item unworthy of being planted in any Dub.

wow, i didnt know that it would be that much of an increase...wow. that sounds pretty freking impressive. thanks guys. =]

Is this just a straight swop for a 2.0 bottom end on the G60? What donor engines would be suitable, what other parts are needed and very roughly how much would it cost?

well, to have a 2.0L block with a G60 set up you would have to lower the compression a bit. so there would have to be nice pistons in there as a starter. if i were to do it, i would build a bulletproof bottom end. forged rods, forged low compression pistons, knife edged crank, etc. i am sure you could pick up a used block to rebuild for as low as $50 you just have to keep an eye out. =] but you will be spending a bit on the pistons unless there are some you could find from another engine. it would be an awesome swap if 16VG60 is right about the power you would be getting from the engine. =]

Buying a well thought out 2 litre G60 engine is VERY difficult... It's actually quite easy to BUILD or buy a 2.0 G60 engine, but not one that retains and builds on the good qualities of the normal G60 engine... It's not quite as simple as just bolting the parts together, there's a certain harmony that has to be kept throughout to make sure it all works together....

For example, the block must have the oil squirters which keep the piston crowns cool, and has to have the extra cooling ways needed to keep a forced induction engine cool...

The crank needs to be suitable for a free revving lively engine (like a G60 should be) and not be too long a throw which will make it tiring to drive and sluggish through the revs...

Certain companies offer a 2.0 short block for the G60 conversion for very good prices which seem to be well upto the job... until you dig a little deeper and find out that it's actually a van engine with a stroke which is better suited to a diesel than a sports engine! :roll:

I initially tried to build a 2 litre for my G60, but ended up with a 1940cc unit (comissioned by 16VG60) as this was the best version we could build at the time... The proof is in the recent rolling road session at Stealth on Sunday where Vince said that it was THE best G60 engine he'd ever seen and she gave out 219bhp and 198LbFt torque! 8)

Have a good conversation with John (16VG60) about his conversions and ideas and you'll be heading in the right direction to end up with a real strong powerful and fun engine... 8)

Have a read through the first few pages of my Members gallery as there's some good, lively discussion in there about my engine plans when I first mentioned that I wanted a 2litre conversion... 8)

stevemac

BigEastsideVWG60, 2.0-16v is 139bhp - same as 1.8-16v (UK Spec)

Have edited my post above, and the 2.0L-16V actually has 136 BHP 9A block (same as 1.8-16v which also has 136 BHP [uK Spec]) :p

Was under the assumption that the engine in the 2.0L-16V Corrado was the same as in the Mk3 Golf 16V and Seat Ibiza 16V which is a 150 BHP 2.0L-16V ABF unit, but I stand corrected...,

Cheers,

BigEastsideVWG60