Enors

Manual steering 93 VR6 US model

Hello,

Searched a bunch and unable to locate answer. Just a bunch of people saying how terrible the idea is.

Anyway I have a manual MK2 rack with boot and knuckle. 191 rack. My understanding(hoping) is this rack will fit the 93 VR6.

I am unsure what inner/outer tie rods to run?

Some threads mentioned an issue with the ball joints - I’m assuming they meant tie rods?

Any help is appreciated. I understand the majority think it’s a terrible idea.

Thanks!

I think the front end will just be too heavy without PAS, there's a big difference between the 1.8 Mk2 engine and the VR.

If you are looking for better feel in the steering, a lot of people have replaced their adjustable steering columns with a fixed one and that seems to make a huge difference.

I think the front end will just be too heavy without PAS, there's a big difference between the 1.8 Mk2 engine and the VR.

If you are looking for better feel in the steering, a lot of people have replaced their adjustable steering columns with a fixed one and that seems to make a huge difference.

Thanks for your input.

Anyone have this conversion in their rado - trying to confirm the MK2 191 rack will work (99% sure it will) and what tie rod set up to run?

Thanks

Hello there,

as above as what FENDERVG has said.

I also believe the steering will be seriously heavy at very low speeds, especially with the VR6 as they have wider wheels / tyres as standard.

I myself haven't changed a PAS steering rack over to a manual one on the Corrado.

But each to there own, if you do want to go down that road, according to the manuals for the MK2 Golf and Corrado,

it looks like you possibly can change them over.

One of the snags you're going to come across though is the lower universal joints, as there might be a small difference in the amount of splines, between the Golf and Corrado.

Early Corrado's had 36 teeth on the steering gear pinion (basically the shaft sticking out vertically out of rack)

And 36 teeth on the lower universal joint shaft.

Then after vin n.o

50-N-011 488 or 50 N 012 001

all new racks and lower universal joints came with 22 teeth, according to the Bentley manual for the Corrado.

Plus I think the PAS rack only has the one U-clamp on the passenger side,

the drivers side is all moulded to the rack, that's on the Corrado 1989 to 1995 and possibly later MK2 Golf 1991 to 1992 mainly GTi and 16v

But there were 2 types of PAS rack for the MK2 Golfs, I think one was the ZF and the other was the TRW.

Where as on the manual steering rack I think you'll possibly need two of the U-clamps and bushes.

Also I think the MK2 Golf has 18 splines on the steering gear pinion and lower universal joint.

You might have to find another universal joint like I say the later Corrado ones have 22 teeth.

The other thing as well is the Corrado VR6 has a slightly wider track so you'll have to use the VR6 tie rods and track rod ends, in the manual steering rack set up.

The VR6 standard tyre size according to the Bentley manual are 205/50R15,

so you need to adjust the length of the new tie rods complete with track rod ends attached.

Tie rod on VR6 is the type with out the extra shoulder.

Length should be 406mm for VR6

Thread is M14mm x 1.5mm

Where as the MK2 Golf tie rod length is 379.5mm with the extra shoulder on the tie rod, with tyre size 175/70R13 185/60R14 195/50R15

Make sure the track rod ends are attached to tie rods, and that they are 100% horizontally straight, including the track rod end joint stud when measuring / resetting the length, or it'll be out slightly.

Also you'll need to clean the threads in the ends of the rack tubes, where the new tie rods screw into, I normally do this with a tap & die set to clean off the old thread lock.

Make sure you use a drop or two of thread lock, on the new tie rod ends where they screw into rack, otherwise they can work loose.

If you want to check any thread pitch then use a thread gauge, this will tell you exactly what the thread size is.

But I think the tie rod threads for the Golf & Corrado are M14mm X 1.5mm

Si