Sign in to follow this  
blair321

lambda sensor

i had my cat taken off my g60 yesterday and replaced with the straight through pipe, after leaving the garage and getting half way home it started coughing and spluttering and chucking out smoke at the back, the wierd thing was that when the cat was taken off they said the lambda sensor wasnt plugged in, from this im presuming the previous owner unplugged it because it had broken and just sold the car on, any ideas as to why this has hapenned, and if im right then how much am i looking to pay for a new sensor.

many thanks in advance

I had similar problems with mine.

Straight through exhaust was on the car when I bought it.

On closer examination the Lambda sensor was a cheap generic one that had been shoved into a hole on the exhaust.

Constantly throwing up errors in VAG-COM.

My mate, who knows a fair bit about VW's explained that the only one to fit is a genuine one.

Something to do with the length of the wires on the generic ones, giving the wrong the resistance and thus incorrect readings.

Anyway, got one from VAG somewhere in the region of £75 IIRC. G60 one might be different.

Took 10mins to fit and I've had no bother since.

its really weird, the car idles fine and goes a little roughly at low speeds but as soon as i get on the motorway it gets much worse.

AFAIK (or what I was told anyway!) if the lambda senser is inoperative the car goes into 'limp home' mode. I had this on mine once - not exactly 'limping', just lost a lot of power. Very flat. Once it was repaired it was like a different car :)