Keyring

I never learn.... Blind purchased corrado VR6

Please bare with me, as i've copied this from the other forum i am on.

The thread was only started a couple of days ago on there, so it's all recent :)

As some of you know, I’ve currently got a mk2 golf project that required extensive welding which hasn’t went anywhere fast, I bought a clean corrado g60 shell to put the bits into due to the condition it was in, I’ve not done much with it, bought a battery tray and was planning to start getting the shell prepped for paint, and welding in the battery tray (only rust on the shell)

So today, I took a look at a localish classic car auction catalogue online while I was on morning break at work, and noticed they had a corrado vr6, there was only one photo, but it looked ok, was only on 120k, seemed to be decent MOT history with the current one running till may and only 4 owners.

The photo on the catalogue...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96356[/ATTACH]

So I messaged a friend to bid on it for me, as we were testing deluge systems today, so I was going to struggle to get away, I gave him my max price (slightly more than I should have perhaps?)

And came up for tea break to find I had won it, so I’ve got another 10 days until I am home again,

I’m a bit anxious on if it will turn out to be a good buy, as I had told myself I wasn’t going to do any blind buys again, and try stay sensible... but here we are in this situation... time will tell I guess

I’ve managed to get a few more photos since the auction finished, the interior is a bit tired, and there is a bit of tidying up to do under the bay, if that’s the only issues I’ll be pretty happy at that...

The question is if it turns out good, do I do the sensible thing and get rid of the mk2 and the corrado shell I have and concentrate on this.... I’ll see...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96358[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96360[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96362[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96364[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96366[/ATTACH]

Well, a couple of friends picked the car up for me while I’m away, done around 90 miles and said it’s driving great...

Few things needing sorted, front splitter missing, lower dash missing and a couple bits of trims, needs a good clean, traveller exhaust that is kind of screwed together, small scab on drivers door, it’s had a respray, no orange peel but needs flattened back as it’s a bit dull, had a windscreen replacement after the respray and can see the edge of the paint, drivers side door handles aren’t working, and the locks have a different key (common issue on corrado apparently due to weak handles and people just changing out full handles with locks) - meant to be an easy fix by retumbling the locks

Good points.... as I say, drivers great, has had 3 new callipers and carriers at some point, had new brake pipes at some point, rear spoiler works (friend didn’t want to test the sunroof, said I can be responsible for that haha!)

And then they sent me a load more photos....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96368[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96392[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96396[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96400[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96402[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96404[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96406[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96390[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96388[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96386[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96370[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96372[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96374[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96380[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96382[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96384[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96408[/ATTACH]

And that's it up to date so far as i'm still away at work...

I don’t think it’s ever going to be a mint example worth mega money, but the fact I got it at what I think was a fair price, I’d be tempted to maybe have a little fun with it (including putting my turbo engine into it) do some changed but keep the original bits so that I can change them back if / when prices do rocket .....

But i'm open to advice/opinions

That shock tower photo made me wince. I hope it's just surface rust.... god knows how it would get wet on the inside though :(

That shock tower photo made me wince. I hope it's just surface rust.... god knows how it would get wet on the inside though :(

It did the same to me when I got the photo, but my friend has assured me it's only surface rust, so my plan is to get it rubbed back and treated as soon as I am home!

To be honest it looks no worse than many other cars of the same age - and a lot of VRs. What did you actually end up paying (if you want to say)?

You'll get a better idea of the mechanical condition once you run and drive - whether to keep it as a project would depend on the body/chassis condition and rust rather than mechanicals and interior. All the bits can be sources, and a nice leather interior would smarten it up nicely.

For the sunroof I would nearly drop the cassette straight away and take it apart for inspection, cleaning and lubrication before trying to operate the mechanism - the risk of snapping something otherwise is too great.

To be honest it looks no worse than many other cars of the same age - and a lot of VRs. What did you actually end up paying (if you want to say)?

You'll get a better idea of the mechanical condition once you run and drive - whether to keep it as a project would depend on the body/chassis condition and rust rather than mechanicals and interior. All the bits can be sources, and a nice leather interior would smarten it up nicely.

For the sunroof I would nearly drop the cassette straight away and take it apart for inspection, cleaning and lubrication before trying to operate the mechanism - the risk of snapping something otherwise is too great.

Ill pm you what I paid and see what you think, I think it wasnt too bad...

My friend has had drove it around 90 miles and said it's great, feels tight, pulls well, bit of a sticky throttle but nothing untoward

He's checked it over and there doesn't seem to be any rot, certainly previous Mots don't suggest that either!

I did think about leathers until I seen the price of them, I've got bucket seats I still in my MK2 that would fit, but I'd be more inclined to get something that reclines and keep use of the back seats.... At least for now...

But there is serious want just to drop my turbo set up in and keep the 2.9 and box sitting for if I ever want to put it back

Ahh you think? My other corrado project has I think an Octavia sunroof in which all works, so I could swap them if needed