Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

Head Up Speedo Display design possible?

Right, I see that Awesome GTI sell a heads up MPH display for VW's about 1992 on, presumably this works by hooking up with the ABS signal to sense how many revolutions the wheels are doing, and processing this in to a speed display. Question is for all you electrical / Maplin browsing type people out there......how hard would it be to make my own system, for an ealry pre 92 Corrado, are there any ready made displays / processors / pick-ups available I could cobble together in to a working system. Failing that I might buy the Awesome GTI system, and try to sort out a suitable pick-up to give it a working signal.....but I'm not too electrically aware so would appreciate component tips...

I saw on the Gadget show on Channel 5 a home made heads up system. He basically used a PDA with the relevant software and reflected the pda screen onto the windscreen using a CD case! It was bloody effective too!

Ah yeah, saw that too, was impressive the way he cobbled that together in no time. All i'm after is a dedicated MPH display though. Must be a way of doing it, other than buying a post 92 Corrado!

i saw that too, but in a magazine

it was a computer type magazine, and it was a recent one. might be worth cheacking the shops if your interested, altho i cant remember the name of it :(

that had a system which was quite complex and expensive, but looked good

the signal to that head up display unit probably comes from the speed pulse from the gear box that feeds your speedo (cant remember the pin on the speedo) but if you have the digital odometer it should work anyway i might be wrong but they only say 92 onwards because most vw before that used the flexidrive speedo you could adapt a bike speedo to do the job but it would be quite tricky to set up

coolrado, just for info, the early cable drive speedos still have a pulse wire leaving the clocks to set the spoiler and active volume controls up with... You should be able to tap into that in exactly the same way as a later one... 8)