J4tttt

Rado VR6 Suspension set up help

Hi All,

My rado has been parked up for a number of years. Just had it MOT'd. Prior to parking it up, I had previously installed lowering springs on the standard shocks and do recall replacing the upper suspension mounts at the same time. However, the front passenger side shock has had play approx 10-20mm even though the nut is fully tight (it has been like this ever since i installed the new lowering spring). The MOT guy was saying it could be the shock that was playing up?

I have a later VR (1996) and do remember I needed to buy the correct lowering springs as they were different from the earlier versions (upper coil of spring is not as wide on later version rado VR).

I wet for the PI lowering springs (think they lower by 35-40mm) as I read up they were the comfort type springs as opposed to rigid types. However, the ride has gone pretty stiff.

To add, I got a set of adjustable Koni's sitting around and plan was to fit those, but now thinking if i put them on the ride will become even more stiffer?

I don't like the idea of having a harsh suspension set up as this wouldn't do the car any favours in the longer run plus feeling every bump on the road is just an unpleasant ride.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

If you remove the shock I'm sure it will become apparent what the problem is. If you had the wrong spring caps you probably would have noticed when you fitted them and the issue would probably exist both sides too.

I've a late VR, and needed to fit the earlier spring caps with my lowering springs (H&R)and agree with Simeon. Would you be fitting new top mounts and bearings anyway?. I would definitely take off the old and have a look at it. Good luck mate

I've a late VR, and needed to fit the earlier spring caps with my lowering springs (H&R)and agree with Simeon. Would you be fitting new top mounts and bearings anyway?. I would definitely take off the old and have a look at it. Good luck mate

Cheers guys

Thing is re:top mounts will they be different for the later ones?..I’ve read they are..Vw main dealer couldn’t assist and said they couldn’t even supply them now due to age of vehicle! :-( I rang up one supplier, who was saying they are all the same on VR

Taking it apart Will be the only way forward,

All the top mounts are the same, it's just the spring cap size that changed. No need to get them from dealers, AVS or ebay or something for Febi or similar. Mk3 Golf ones are the same.

Edit; these are the ones I use normally

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Lemforder-Febi-Front-Top-Mount-Kits-VW-Mk3-Golf-Passat-Sharan-Corrado-VR6/150769583498?hash=item231a91458a:g:CGcAAOSwDNdVwb3~