_Matt_

Sunroof. Mechs - mk3, passat, corrado etc

Hi,

I've searched high and low over the internet. I've found details of repair kits for the original roof now sadly discontinued and I've fitted a mk3 golf mech with a Passat B4 moonroof that I've now found has caused a leak into my drivers side 3qtr panel.

I want to go back to stock with the original steel panel and corrado mech. As it stands today I've fitted the steel roof in place of the passat moonroof on my mk3 mech but know I can't get the original interior blind to operate with this set up. The Passat roof doesn't fit as well as the corrado panel and I believe the drain channels get overloaded in the weather we've been having recently. The mk3 golf mech also seems slighly longer and I had found the sound deadening material on the roof had drooped into the drainage area also allowing water to escape. Fortunately caught intime and no rusty-ness has happened - lucky these cars were so well waxed from the factory as I had 2cm of water floating in the rear of my sill ( I park on a slope so it collected there).

In my shed I have a Corrado mech and Passat mech (almost identical) but both have snapped the cast alloy part on the drivers side.

The golf mech seems much stronger in construction. Before I go mad and order a carbon roof skin to do away with this bloody sunroof is there any knowledge out there reading that knows of any of the following:

a) a repair kit for the original roof?

b) knowledge on combining mk3 golf mech parts and building a hybrid corrado/mk3 golf mech that operates the original corrado inner blind?

I'm not paying another 250 quid for a corrado roof only for it to break a week later :(. I love a sunroof but am tempted by a carbon roof (sparyed to match the car) as can see this sunroof issue being unresolvable the rarer these cars get.

Also what is the size of the tool/star nut that would enable a mech to be operated without a motor installed (for testing purposes)?

Cheers all

Matt

Edited by pfnsht

The motors came supplied with a hex key that clipped into underneath for manually operating the roof - but it has to be done with the motor fitted as the locating key hole is in the motor housing. Are you talking about moving the toothed wheel directly?

Most of the parts from the different sunroof mechs are interchangeable and the cassettes are a straight fit - certain features are particular to a model, but I've seen several combinations made to work, and the metal outer panel will just bolt straight on to any of them.

Interesting thanks fendervg. I did mean the toothed wheel directly without a motor attached, thought this was possible but I have a spare motor somewhere so can do it this way instead.

So it could be possible to get one of my broken mechs operating with perhaps golf or another car that had a similar setup to the Corrado with moving interior panel.

Any knowledge part numbers or VAG grouping models with Corrado style interior panels would be great! I'm happy to buy another mech to salvage parts (just not an overpriced corrado one - my golf mech cost 30 quid!).