mooG60

Supercharger tensioner compression

Hey all

I need a good tool/hack/idea to compress the charger tensioner in order to remove the charger. 

I'm not keen on the back street method of forcing it off, as this can damage the rubber bushes.

Any advice please chaps?

13 hours ago, mooG60 said:

Hey all

I need a good tool/hack/idea to compress the charger tensioner in order to remove the charger. 

I'm not keen on the back street method of forcing it off, as this can damage the rubber bushes.

Any advice please chaps?

Hello there,

the original VW tool was VW9131 it was used to compress/evacuate the air in damper/tensioner cylinder, by compressing the damper up to 5 times so it would be slack enough, according to the Corrado Bentley workshop manual.

Picture of original VW9131 tool below.

Si

vw_matra_3191.jpg

18 minutes ago, vw rule said:

Hello there,

the original VW tool was VW9131 it was used to compress/evacuate the air in damper/tensioner cylinder, by compressing the damper up to 5 times so it would be slack enough, according to the Corrado Bentley workshop manual.

Picture of original VW9131 tool below.

Si

vw_matra_3191.jpg

I suppose you possibly could use a sealant gun, but you'd have to fabricate it to work correctly for you, possibly have the metal plunger on the top of tensioner damper, then have the base of gun housing under the allow triangular bracket, then simply start pressing the lever handle on sealant gun, to start pulling up damper. But like I say the sealant gun would need some fabrication to fit / work correctly for you.

Something like the picture below.

Si

1913.jpg

Edited by vw rule

I've just found this guide from this Forum could be of use. To be honest he just unbolts the top damper bolt, which most people do.

Hope this helps

Si

Edited by vw rule

9 hours ago, vw rule said:

I've just found this guide from this Forum could be of use. To be honest he just unbolts the top damper bolt, which most people do.

Hope this helps

Si

Hi Si

Thanks, I have used the guide a couple of times last year. It was very handy for a first timer like me.  I just didn't like forcing the tensioner off as you have to bend it at a large angle,  this can damage the mounting rubber bushes, as happened to me last year.

However, this time I removed the bottom bolt as opposed to the top nut as suggested in the guide, this way I didn't have to bend the tensioner at all.

I would like to refit the charger with the tensioner compressed though, I really don't want to have to force it back on.

So I'm still looking if anyone has any suggestions.........

Thanks.

Thanks Brian

I will give it a try if I can't find anything else.

I have a D clamp that would work with a bit of home engineering and a welder, which sadly I don't have.

Finally got my charger fixed.....  

The silicone gun does works well enough. It can be a bit fiddly doing it by yourself though.

It needs a bit of modding to make it a bit less cumbersome, a job for when I'm bored.

Thanks Brian...