KarlosG60

Fuel pump relay. Buy VW Original or Hella??

Hi,

After cluster gauge replacement, I listened again electrical noises at the start-time first try.
I listen it carefully and I think it is the relay 80. So I don't know if the new fuel pump (another thing I replaced before the cluster gauge), maybe using different voltages or something else and the relay it's too old to manage them, so I thought about changing the relay.

VW Classic Parts don't have it, so I called my Volkswagen dealer and they have one in stock by 50 euros. 

I search the relay reference (191906383C) and I found Hella brand by 15 euros. 

So, it is risky to buy the Hella, or it's more risky to buy a VW original relay which we don't know when was made?

The part number suffix (letter) can change to indicate a later version or substitution. Hella are a good brand - chances are the VW one is made by them or by Bosch, so I wouldn't worry about quality. The relay can go bad over time  - a good way to test this is to jumper the connection the relay makes with a short length of  wire - this should run your pump directly.

It's a fairly common relay and should be easy to source.

• Like 1

Thanks. I will try to test the relay (I don't know how, I will google it) and maybe buy the Hella, because is cheap.

Edited by KarlosG60

Relay is replaced for new one from Hella (15euros). The relay makes more louder sound when you turn ignition key to ON. The ugly electrical noise didn't come again, but I cannot be sure if is because the new relay or because I fill the tank with 20L before.

Later I will check the old relay, but it seems it is not working correctly. 

Edited by KarlosG60