Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Porsche Tear Drop Wing Mirrors

genuine ones ??? - expensive!

My local breaker has recently stripped an Audi RS2 (the one with porsche wheels, manifold, mirrors & brakes) and is asking ~ £250 for the pair!

Probably require a bit of metal trimming on your doors for the brackets to mount - & possibly a weld tack to hold the mounting nuts in place??

Check http://www.s2forum.com to see how the S2 owners modded their cars for 911 (RS2) mirrors

I know GPC sell them brand new for £280 + VAT. Also some Corrado owners have used the DSP bases to get them to fit.

...or you can try the MX5 mirrors like G60 Renshaw - look just as good imo and prob a fraction of the cost of 993 mirrors!

...or you can try the MX5 mirrors like G60 Renshaw - look just as good imo and prob a fraction of the cost of 993 mirrors!

Sounds like a spot on idea! Anyone know if they are electric?

They are not a straight bolt on though, some care is needed to make them fit... taken straight from the horses mouth..

saw these:

Porsche 911/993 mirrors, teardrop type, like new

020-7372 8894. NW6.

Price: £165.00 or very near offer

HTH

I've got genuine 993 mirrors on mine. Firstly, don't use DSP bases. They look shit IMO. The way to do it properly is to use a LHD base on one door and a RHD base on the other door. Costs were £200+vat for the mirrors secondhand from porsche-a-part and the LHD base was £30+vat. Fitting is a pro bodyshop job as it involves cutting two ovals into each door for the mirror clamps to grip into. I'll post pics in the members gallery of the fitting process.

Which base did you go for Lee ? Ones for a 968 or 911/993 ? Also, as far as i know the MX5 ones are around £100 each also.

Which base did you go for Lee ? Ones for a 968 or 911/993 ? Also, as far as i know the MX5 ones are around £100 each also.

Lee, will you PM me the part # for the passenger side RHD 993 base. I will be fitting my OEM 993 mirrors soon and have been told I need this base. I'll have the p/s US spec base if anyone over there needs that?

R

Why anyone would want to replace their door mirrors that are the same as on TVR / McClaren F1 on their Corrado with inferior Porsche / Mazda ones is beyond me.... :roll: :roll: :lol:

Why anyone would want to replace their door mirrors that are the same as on TVR / McClaren F1 on their Corrado with inferior Porsche / Mazda ones is beyond me.... :roll: :roll: :lol:

It doesn't matter who manufactures the mirror or what other car has the same ones, it doesn't effect how they look on your car. I think they look pretty good, much better than std!

So that's why :roll:

Don't know the part no as their on the car now. Still you shouldn't have any trouble asking a dealer for a rhd 993 base and gasket. Trick with porker mirrors is to get them sat right on the doors. Not 100% happy with mine but there better than all but one car i've seen with them on. Definiately better than corrado mirrors if you look at it side by side with a std C IMO.

Why switch them out? simple.. so you can SEE what is actually behind you. 993 mirrors are wider in the middle which increases rear visibility. I live in a city filled with 7 million idiots who cannot drive therefore knowing where they are at all times leaves me an "out" so a 7 year project isnt ruined.

R

Why switch them out? simple.. so you can SEE what is actually behind you. 993 mirrors are wider in the middle which increases rear visibility. I live in a city filled with 7 million idiots who cannot drive therefore knowing where they are at all times leaves me an "out" so a 7 year project isnt ruined.

R

Visablity is ok, would say its better than standard ones tho. The mirrors sit lower than the std ones so the passenger one is slightly obscurred by the door. On the plus side there more aerodynamic than the brick-like factory mirrors.