Sign in to follow this  
Blinky16v

16v KR head on 16V 9A Engine

Hi everyone,

Sort of new to the forum, been visiting for a while now so thought it was time to join up :salute:

I've got a 93 16v C with the 9A engine in, a m8 of mine suggested that the best performance upgrade would be to plonk the head from an early 16v (KR) onto my 9A lump, apparently it is a direct swap (injectors, pipework etc etc)

I was wondering if anyone on here has done this mod to the late type 16v and what sort of performance difference (if any) did you get?

Cheers lads, great forum btw!! 8)

Best mod is to use the inlet cam off of a KR head in your 9a head, or you could do some work on the KR head (new valve stem seals etc.) and then swap it straight over so your car won't be off the road too long.

Best mod is to use the inlet cam off of a KR head in your 9a head, or you could do some work on the KR head (new valve stem seals etc.) and then swap it straight over so your car won't be off the road too long.

As above really, I definitely wouldn't swap a worn KR head onto a reliable 9A block without rebuilding and porting and polishing it first though, otherwise you'll get no more gain than just swapping the KR's higher lift inlet cam in and you'll probably burn a lot more oil!

A healthy 2.0 16v with standard KR cams should give 150bhp+ and a good flowed head can add up to about 15 bhp more at the top end. Wild cams will give more peak hp but at the expense of the low to mid range torque of the standard cams.

I believe the 9A's cat is a little restrictive too and the emissions controls don't help either as you can't easily run the engine a bit richer to help it run with a bit more power at the top end as you can do with the 1.8's.

David.

Cheers guys, interesting points. Sound slike just the KR inlet cam needs to be installe then ( I think the exhaust cams are the same on both engines...)

I have changed the standard cat for one off a subaru and got powerflow to do the rest of the pipe work so cat should be less restivctive, but thats a wild guess :?

I'll check out gas flowing as well, being an "a"series engine boy all this technological gadgetry is a little beyond me :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

The exhaust cams are the same! Go for the kr inlet cam or you can mod an exhaust cam to fit as an inlet cam as ive done.