ben16v

ben16v`s car the replacement is here

What spec/VW code is the gear oil? my local dealer reckons he'll only charge 4 quid a litre for fully synthetic, about the price you paid, so perhaps that's what you've got, great seeing as a few years back they charged me 16 quid a litre!

The quantum silver is expensive now though, I got some from GTI international for 10 quid for 5L.

G052 726 A2

i just went with what the computer said, didnt think to ask if it was fully synth

cars done 160k so figured it could do with a change,

if you could let me know if this is the fully synth or not

from the info I can find this (G052 726 A2 ) is the spec of oil for most mk4 golf gearboxes and is mineral not synthetic and is used where G50 VW oil was originally specified, e.g. Corrado

If you have a mk4 V6 or 6 speed and a few of the 1.8T's then the spec is the fully synthetic G052 171 A2 which is a slightly lighter viscosity

shouldn't think it makes a hell of a difference, but I did put VW fully synthetic in mine and it was a big improvement when cold over the old oil.

VW used to specify the synthetic for 'problem' gearboxes as a cheap fix before replacing a box under warranty, but in recent years it looks like the top performance cars have the synthetic from the factory.

G052 726 A2

i just went with what the computer said, didnt think to ask if it was fully synth

cars done 160k so figured it could do with a change,

if you could let me know if this is the fully synth or not

done my oil and filter today also did my gear box oil but i was a bit worried cos only about 1/2 litre came out and took 1/2l of the new oil, was parked on the flat and left it for a good 10 mins?

wasnt bad before although did have to change carefully sometimes, will be able to say more when starting from cold although i suppose the oil was cold today when it went in

only went for a quik razz after putting it in and yeah i think i could change quicker without fearing it`ll catch a gear, was really easy to do too.

torx 45 and 17mm plug tool 2quid ebay or halfords and funnel and a bit of pipe ala wiki.

for less than a tenner (non synth vw oil) i`d do it

Ohh and i got shouted at to slow down when i was testing it (40mph in a 60) :lol:

right annoyed at my car needs a fair bit of work:

bad bits:

massive hole underneath the battery- needs whole new section welded up.

3 x metal brake pipes from load valve

both rear calipers.

both front tyres - knew they`d be close but thought they`d pass

track rod end

front flexi brake line

steering rack gaiter

both rear bearings excess play

and a no. plate bulb.

need to get the welding done at a garage, basically need the whole battery panel and a bit upto the strut doing, looks like a battery has leaked at some point. the earths are not attached to my chassis anymore and the battery is loose

any ideas on how much?

how many brake lines are from the load valve 4? should just get them all done i suppose.

any ideas on how much?

i`ve got G60 front calipers to go on and i think i`ve read somewhere that C&R do kits including the mk4 calipers and all goodridge hoses F&R.

any ideas on how much?

tyres 205/45R16 Rainsports at the moment - £70ish each side?

trackrod end and steering rack gaiter - GSF or VW?

how do you adjust the rear bearings?

thanks

:(

if you need the section under the battery and cant find any scrapped corrados where you are, there are two in a scrappy in wrexham that still have that section intact.

coolrado, nice one cheers not really sure what the garage will do really if they`ll just make up their own plate or what and i havent got a mechanic at the moment so its gonna be a new place

To do the rear bearings, take the wheel off, remove the centre cap, (hammer and chisel/old screw driver, being careful not to knacker it), then take the split pin out, pull the locking thing off and then tighten the nut slowly, until you can just move the washer underneath with a screwdriver. Spin the disk a few times, check tightness, replace locking thing, insert new split pin and cover and off you go....

TBH Your bearings might be knackered, so it would be worth checking them and probably repacking them with grease...

for the cost of it - i'd redo your wheel bearings especially if you've got to get the discs off etc. If you've not done them before, chances are they be knackered anyway. On the 2.0 the rear discs are joined with the hubs so its pointless not doing the bearing at the same time.

Me n mechanic mate did that last weekend, redid rear calipers, new brake discs (which include the hub), bearings and pads. Took him an evening after work, I made the brews!

cheers toad and lippy, had all new discs a year ago including bearings etc so i`ll just tighten them up to get through the mot

gonna get someone to do the welding for me then G60 fronts, mk rears and braided hoses throughout and all new solid lines...

its gonna be an interesting week

There was a Corrado in Harris Salvage (behind tescos) at the end of the summer. A red 16v (H reg I think). The battery tray might be salvageable in it?? (if it's still there that is :) )

BTW when i phoned up the bloke didn't know what a Corrado was, so it might be best to go there for a look

Mike

cheers toad and lippy, had all new discs a year ago including bearings etc so i`ll just tighten them up to get through the mot

gonna get someone to do the welding for me then G60 fronts, mk rears and braided hoses throughout and all new solid lines...

its gonna be an interesting week

You should re tighten new rear wheel bearings after a while as they bed in a little.

Funnily enough, I've just re tightened my rear bearings this morning. First the handbrake seized on, and got rather warm, so whilst I was fighting with that I took the opportunity to take a little little bit of play out of them. The bearings didn't take too long at all.

right i`ve finally got my car back after 2 weeks of waiting, i now have all the parts fitted, my mot :)

I love that feeling when you get them back after a while though - they drive great! Absence makes the heart grow fonder - but usually the wallet lighter with Corrados too!

some clean pics of mine and samg60`s

clayed - scratchx - megs step 1,2 & 3

got the inside to do tomorrow 8)