FrankyEight

16v Dead Fuel Gauge — Looking for Fuel Tank Float Thingy

Hi guys,

My fuel gauge has recently died, it gave some bouncy readings for a while but has now completely gone — I'm looking for a replacement part which I think is the float-sender-thingy that sits in the tank — anyone know where I can get one? Part number I think is 191-919-051/G (3 pin) or 191-919-051/ba (4 pin) — any advice or help on this greatly appreciated. I've got an M reg 2.0 16v. Thanks.

Edited by FrankyEight

Did you try moving the float by hand with the ignition on to see what readings you were getting? I think if you short the wires you should get a full reading. The float senders rarely fail unless the fuel was contaminated or it was left empty for a long time and the tracks have worn or corroded. It could also be the dash voltage regulator on it's way out.

The 191 means it's a Golf 2 part, so should be easier to find - if not new, could be had from a breakers or second hand

Cheers for the reply. Pretty sure now the part number I need for the 4-pin fuel guage sender unit is '191 919 051 ba' — can't find any of these anywhere online... Anyone got one lying around?!...