Sign in to follow this  
bigbob

Drilled airbox = CRAP MPG ?

Can a severley drilled airbox bring the MPG right down on a G reg 16v Corrado ?

My MPG never seems to get about 26mpg even when i drive at 50mph

My airbox is half missing through drilling and it sounds great but the MPG is a bit annoying

ideas.. ?

Do you drive everywhere flat out to get the noise??

Check all the small vacuum hoses for spits/leaks and amke sure they are connected. I had one split on my std Golf 8v GTI and could get an average of 22MPG, fixed the leak and it was back to 30-40MPG.

yes mfa reading

no dont drive flat out

the pipe that runs from the back of the airbox to the rear of the engine fell off ages ago

Thats just a warm air pipe for in the winter. What to do is fill up with petrol, reset you tacho, run it till ~1/4 tank left then fill it up and note how much you put in.

Use this to work out how many litres, convert to gallons then you can get your mpg.

Check all the small vacuum hoses for spits/leaks and amke sure they are connected. I had one split on my std Golf 8v GTI and could get an average of 22MPG, fixed the leak and it was back to 30-40MPG.

Yep, Found what was causing my problem last nite, small pipe from TB to ECU had come off its 90degree elbow at the TB, cable tied it back on and back up to accurate MPG readings 8)

Is that the MFA reading? My average reads 26mpg but when you work it out its normally 35pmg

I reckon you might have a leak then as I have worked mine out before and its fairly accurate, check that pipe from the TB, the small flexible pipe that makes the 90degree bend may be leaking or the clips may not be tight enough...

My MPG has been the same before and since drilling (albeit mildly) the airbox. As the guys say more likely an indication / sensing problem.

FOR THE past 2 years i've had 180 miles per tank but since havinng the 5.5 SNS chip, i managed 250 miles per tank. But Santa Pod is 200 miles away (round trip!) Thank you!! But still managed a 14.54s QM. WOW!!! Considering that i'm runmnig 225n bhp & 225 ftlb of torque without a proper remap! i'm happy. Plus standard tranny. And my water injection works great!!!