dan.howlett86

"Notchy" steering

Hi all, so I've just finished my 1990 16v rado 20v conversion.... All is great except I have notchy steering (roughly every quarter turn then has a significant hard to turn point it then goes loose again).

I always suspected the rack was on its last legs (rack and subframe from a mk3 golf) so I replaced it and its still notchy!!

UJ has slight play when off the car but I can't find a newer replacement as it's the larger spline one.

Any ideas on what this could be or if you suspect UK where a new one can be sourced?

I will upload pics at some point

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Make sure the struts turn with weight on the ground.

Disconnect the track rod ends from the knuckles, place a magazine under the tyres, drop the car down and check for tight spots both sides by turning the wheels with your hands lock left and right.

this will ensure the struts are free to move narrowing it down to rack, pipe work or pump

hth

Thanks dox,

I have disconnected track rod ends and struts are free to move they're all new ap coilovers and new meyle top mounts.

I have had 2 racks have the same feeling which I think would be really unlucky if I could find another UJ I'd try it... Do the columns have any known issues?

U/Js can dry out if the heat shield  / rubber cover is missing due to drying out /  water ingress. I suppose the bushes bearings can fail.

Are you sure the track rod ends are the right orientation, I'm sure they can bind  on the knuckles if transposed?

Watch the tensioner when turning right / left for excess movement / jumping

Thanks,

I've just discovered most people run the split apart mk3 one with bolts in whereas my car has the solid pas one so I'm going to try the other type 1st and see if that makes any difference

Thanks again for all the input!