mooG60

Rear axle bush replacement.

On 9/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, fendervg said:

From the Fountain of Truth:

image.png

It is a bit ambiguous, but after digging a bit deeper.....

This is referring to the bracket bolts, also known as a pivot bracket , the bracket fits to the body with 3 bolts set to 70Nm.

The bolt that goes through the eye of the bush, also known as the pivot bolt,  one per side set to 60Nm.

At least you can be sure they will go in and out nice and easy! Not sure how it will be to drive - are there different grades of the rear poly bushes?
There are different grades - purple is road and other colours are for track.

Mine didn't get done in the end. I thought they might need doing so chatted to Vince about its when I dropped off but they are not super urgent and can wait until I refurbish the beam.

As I have some lemforder here already I'll probably stick with them. Just didn't want to fit them to the current beam as it needs some tlc re surface rust.

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk

from my reading over the 20 odd years of being in a corrado i do recall that it was recommended to not poly bush the rear beam as it restricts the designed beam movement

regarding bushes, IIRC, most are advised to be kept OE with exception of an R32 front wishbone bush, a vibratechnics front engine mount & i think a front gearbox mount

It alters the handling and makes a very harsh ride from what I read, so best to steer clear for sure. 

Ironically it was Stealth that suggested (if it was "his" car) he'd go poly rear beam, r32 in the wishbone and upgraded front and rear antiroll bars. I've also spoken to a few other around my way who went poly with that set up and they are happy. I was anti poly before, passive rear steer etc etc but you're altering the setup if upgrading the shocks and springs so i can see the logic to it now.  That was my reasoning to give it go this time. 

Yes, where do you stop once started. Would have been good to experience both types though. 

From a mechanics prospective, selling the punters poly bush's will make their lives much easier, they probably hate axle removal jobs with a passion.

How did the other works go?

Just got home from picking it up - all went well and have confidence in the car again now.

It has largely sat doing not a lot for 2 years and prior to that the guy that owned it from 2005 to 2021 cosseted it in his garage and put few miles on it.

I've had the chains, new clutch (old one was very stiff), 263 cams, head rebuild and some abs repairs, wishbones, remap, fuel line.

It made 223hp the rollers, top 3 with this set up he reckons. Usually they make 215 with 263s. Mine has a miltek sports cat and standard airbox so perhaps they help.

Next job is suspension. I have been waiting since June for koni/h&r and I'm going to refurbish the rear axle and ancillary parts and fit a new freshly refurbed subframe. 2024 jobs now though.

Will have to update my thread at some point soon.

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk